• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD burning question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but is there a way that I can use a recordable DVD for storage of large video files (ie. 1gb avi files)? I don't want to be able to play the disc on a DVD player, but when I've tried to use programs to burn four 1gb avi movies onto a 4.7gb DVD, I get an error message telling me there isn't enough space (by far). So basically what I'm trying to say (I think!) is that I want to use it for data storage, basically, rather than to create a disc playable on a DVD player - although I was under the impression that it was possible to burn a DVD with a number of movies on it and it would play on most DVD players, allowing the user to select one of the movie files to play, just as CDRs etc do. I'm fairly new to recordable DVDs, having only ever used CDR and CDRW before. Any help much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
It should work. I would just burn a data disk in Toast rather than a video/movie disk. It works just the same when you burn a data disk from a CD rather than an audio disk. I'm not sure if your DVD player would recognize it...just as CD players don't recognize data audio disks.

Reaction score
Same as Above. Just insert a blank DVD-R into your mac and when the disc icon shows up on your desktop just drag the 4 files into it. Ctrl-click / Burn Disc.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Didn't realise it was that easy! Thanks for your replies guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
Hmm, I copied a few of my favorite episodes of Dexter from iTunes onto my DVD+R and it won't play in my DVD player or my wife's computer. It requires iTunes to play it. Any way of getting around this?

Talk about inconvenience.

Thanks.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Try a minus R disc instead

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.