Quick Quick question about shopping on ebay?

Reaction score
if i am to buy off ebay then do i have to pay taxes on what i buy if it is shipped to the UK?

cNK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WhiteBook (2.16GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - OS X Tiger)
It depends on what you are buying. If you're getting a laptop you probably will have to handle the taxes upon delivery. What I do when purchasing an item on eBay is ask the seller to label the packing slip as a gift. It's always worked but again, the most expensive item I've gotten from eBay was a pair of sneakers, I don't know if you could pull it off w/ a laptop (also depends on the UK customs.)

OP
srgthunder
Reaction score
what if it is used surely i wouldn't cos the person would've payed tax already?

cNK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WhiteBook (2.16GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - OS X Tiger)
I don't know how taxes work in the UK... I know I'd have to pay them for sure here in Canada.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 80GB 2GHz C2D 1GB RAM | iPod Nano 3G 8GB
As long as it's being delivered from inside the UK it should be fine, just check the item description. I've never bought something that expensive off ebay but I bought an iPod for £180 once, and there was no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
I almost bought a system from the U.S.A. from a legit Mac seller. However, I realized that it would cost nearly the same as if I bought it from the Apple Canada store, since you definitely have to pay all the taxes when it reaches your house. You can have your seller label it as a gift, but be careful with purchases as large as a laptop. If someone catches your "gift" at the border, you will have to pay huge fees (since you can only label a package a "gift" up to a certain price). It's more obvious that your item costs more than the maximum gift price with a computer since it's heavy and large.

Basically, if your seller is from the UK him/herself then you shouldn't have much to worry about (and maybe you can even travel out to wherever they are to save shipping costs). However, if they are located somewhere else you will have to pay taxes unless you have the seller mark the package as a "gift", which you will have to do at your own risk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.