Upgrading Macbook Hard Drive

Reaction score
I'm going to upgrade my Macbook's HDD (brief specs in siggy) from the stock 80GB to either a 160GB or 250GB drive from newegg.

How easy, first of all, is the physical process? I've heard it's easy on the Macbooks, but I'm just checking before I tear it apart.

Also, in order to enclose my current 80GB drive, do I have to get a SATA-compatible 2.5" enclosure? And if so, where can I find a firewire one? USB 2.0 will suffice if absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, Intel Core Duo, 13" Display
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook white 13' Core 2 duo 2.0 Ghz, 1.5 G Ram, 160 GB Hard Drive
I just recently upgraded my macbook to 160 Gigs. The whole process took me less than 10 minutes to swap out the old one and put the new one in.
Yes, you do have to use a serial ATA 2.5" USB Enclosure. I put my 80 Gig Hard Drive into one and it's great. Depending on where you live, you can get one at any major electronic computer store. Eg. Best Buy.

Reaction score
Did you create a disk image to backup your file? I was planning on doing the same thing. How do you create a disk image if so?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook white 13' Core 2 duo 2.0 Ghz, 1.5 G Ram, 160 GB Hard Drive
Hi there,
Yes I did use a disk image to back up my start up disk. I did a lot of research in regards to backup software and alot of magazines eg. macworld and websites suggested using a program called Super Duper.

Here is the link
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

It's a free program to back it up, however there is more features enabled once you purchase the software. Eg. Smart back up , instead of copying your whole start up drive again.

Note: if you plan to make a disk image of your start up drive there is 2 options:
1) You can back up your start up drive disk image on your start up drive itself. If this is the case, make sure you have enough room on the existing hard drive.
2) you can back up your start up drive disk image on an external hard drive.

Since I didn't have an external hard drive the first time around, I just backed up everything on DVD's. (not really necessary if you plan to use the old macbook as an external hard drive). But it's always better to be prepared, so I went ahead and backed up music/docs/pictures on DVD anyways.

1) Replaced the macbook with the new hard drive
2) Re-installed the Mac OS , applications, loaded up music and documents
3) Placed my old macbook hard drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure. (i can transfer the music, pics and docs) unto the new hard drive.
4) I used the macbook disk utility and partioned the USB 2.0 enclosed hard drive to wipe it all clean.
5) loaded up Super Duper and copied the macbook start up disk to the external hard drive.

Now if i ever need to, i have the USB 2.0 enclosed hard drive as a bootable drive if the hard drive in the macbook fails.

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the same process as you guys and was hoping that someone with experience could double check that this drive would work with my macbook:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=314

Also, I was wondering if boot camp could boot Vista from an external hard drive, in lieu of partitioning the macbook's internal HDD. Would the speeds of Firewire 400 or USB 2.0 make it unusable even if it is technically possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I'm going to be doing the same exact thing too! Only i'm going with the 160GB. Here this should help http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf

and it is easy! you'll need to go down the the hardware store and buy a size 8 torx wrench for the tiny screws. But, other then that it's easy.
Negative on the size 8 torx.

The page says you need a size 1 Phillips. I believe that's what I had to use when I opened up to install memory.

No torx needed here. :)

Reaction score
hey guys, i also been thinking of switching my 80g to something like a 160 and just getting a hd enclosure for the 80g.

my question is if you know guys if these hd enclosure require 2 usb? 1 for power and for 1 connection? cause it seem like a lot of them come with 2 usb cable. like for example this one i was looking at : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817193034

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.