iPod on a MacBook running from battery

Reaction score
I plugged my iPod into my MacBook on the train the other day to be told that the device couldn't connect because it wanted to draw power from the host (obvious as that's how iPod's charge) so I couldn't sync my iPod at all.

I use my iPod as an external storage device as well as my music player, and though I don't particularly want to charge it on the move and drain my MB battery, I would like to be able to plug it in for at least a couple of minutes to transfer anything across I might need whilst on the go. Is there a way to force the MB USB into the required mode and be able to sync my iPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 320 HDD, Superdrive, Mighty Mouse
There must be a problem with your MB, i have plugged my iPod into my MB while running from battery and it does sync.. I'm not sure what the problem might me as you can always sync it no matter if the MB's running from battery or not. Have you checked the Apple's Documentation on their site?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
There must be a problem with your MB, i have plugged my iPod into my MB while running from battery and it does sync.. I'm not sure what the problem might me as you can always sync it no matter if the MB's running from battery or not. Have you checked the Apple's Documentation on their site?

Yeah, although I dont have a macbook, i have a powerbook, my iPod was just (within minutes ago) connected without the computer being plugged in and it worked fine. I dont see how the intel cores could change this, that seems like it would be a software issue...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
You can connect via firewire, but not USB, when running on the battery, I believe. I assume you have an older iPOD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
You can connect via firewire, but not USB, when running on the battery, I believe. I assume you have an older iPOD?

uhh... mine connects via USB? a PB g4 and a 5th gen video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.