macpro

Reaction score
hes anyone tried bootcamp gaming on the macpro which is the tower not the notebook. I heard its not compatible because it has two dou core chips while the notebook has only one and windows will be lost. If anyone is gaming with the macpro tower desktop please let me know.

thank you

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's not a matter of compatibilty with multiple dual core CPU's or the quad core that is now being put into almost every high end windows PC.
Any game that will run on a windows machine, will run in windows via Boot Camp on a Mac Pro.

The issue with all software, not just games, is that many apps have not been designed to make use of the additional processors. What this means to you, is that you will not see much advantage nor speed increase in many applications in having this additional processor power available. This will be the same whether you buy a Mac or any other PC. These apps will run just the same as they always have. And you could see significant improvement in the apps that can make use of the additional cores.

This is similar to the matter of the CPU's now being 64 bit, but most apps out there are still only 32 bit. The OS's are still designed to run these older 32 bit apps, but when you get an app that is 64 bit capable, you can experience a great improvement in it's speed.

Reaction score
hes anyone tried bootcamp gaming on the macpro which is the tower not the notebook. I heard its not compatible because it has two dou core chips while the notebook has only one and windows will be lost. If anyone is gaming with the macpro tower desktop please let me know.

thank you
Yes you can play games on your Mac Pro Intel desktop under BootCamp. If you do run into problems on certain games it will probably be either a driver problem or a hardware problem such as the game requires a better video card than you have, which is the same problem you would run into under winders.

OP
T
Reaction score
Im running xp on mac book pro. I just wanted to know if it will run the same as the mac pro. Its funny how winodws runs better on a mac then on a pc loll.
So basically if you all say the macpro desktop can run xp as good as the macbook pro then ill be happy.

thanks for you help in advance

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The Mac Pro should do everything better /faster than the MBP. You have a faster CPU, faster hard drive (faster than the stock 5400 RPM), faster optical drive, and better video card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
yea, I would also like to know if anyone has tried this as the review i posted above strongly suggests that book camp running windows may run pretty slow
but I do agree with all the posts above,
I do not see any reason why a mac pro with a faster processor will run windows slower than a macbook pro

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Qualification - do not have a MP, at least not yet.

The posting you have above is from last August and was an earlier version of Boot Camp prior to it incorporating DMA support for SATA drives. There was a work around for it even at that time though as posted in a how to on Anandtech by slipstreaming the Intel drivers on the XP disc prior to installing and shown in this link.

This issue has been resolved for sometime, I believe with Boot Camp 1.2 and we're now on 1.3.

The main issue of difference between the MBP and the MP are the FB DIMMs used in the MP. These are designed really for server and workstation installations. They allow for more modules per channel (which allows more memory being installed) but also introduces some latency (vs DDR2, it takes little bit longer to access the memory) into the system.

Most of the tests you will find out there compare the Mac Pro to a box designed for XP. In some things the MP wins out (encoding) and in others the XP box takes it (gaming). The results are primarily due to the different types of memory being used. But in comparing it to your MBP - you should see a pretty significant improvement with the Mac Pro.

For some direct gaming comparisons check here.
And here is another bloggers opinion, but he links to the same Bare Feats testing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.