Capturing screen audio + video

Reaction score
Hi guys, I posted this on the "Switcher's Forum" and realised that there are probably more die-hard and experienced Mac users on this forum.

Before I switched over from the PC, I was using a program called Windows Media Encoder...it would allow me to designate a portion of the screen to record both the video and the audio. This was a free program. About the only bad thing about it is that it outputs the files in .wmv (Windows Media Video) format.

About a month ago, i switched over the Mac. Loving it so far. Someone suggested I try SnapzProX, so i did...I am not thrilled with it. The output tends to be very fuzzy and disappointing, which is very surprising to me considering that the files are rather large compared to the WMV files.

I guess what I am looking for is an easy-to-use screen capture program with a great output quality. It does not have to be free, but it would be nice if it did not cost well over $100 either. It would also be great if I could output the file in a variety of formats as I choose (.mpeg, .avi, .mov, etc), but this is not strictly necessary.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have heard that quicktime pro can do this, but will it capture animation and audio from within another program, or just a movie stream?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Screen Mimic is pretty good. It will do a few formats. But for best quality and lowest file sizes, you'll want to re-export with quicktime or other compressor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.