Pulling the power?

Reaction score
Ok, bare with me, this may sound stupid!!

How bad for a mac mini would it be if all applications where closed and the power was pulled?

The reason i ask is that i am trying to put together a touring theatre sound playback system using mini macs, however the power buttons being on the back is a real show stopper at the moment as i have to rack mount them.

However i have discovered that if i set the auto reboot after power loss option if i pull the power they will automatically come back up when plugged back in.

Is this a viable option or would it be a really bad idea!!

Cheers in advance.

Gareth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
It would be fine. However, you could just put them to sleep and wake them up by tapping a key on the keyboard instead...

Reaction score
I think he needs to pull the power to move them from site to site. It sounds like you are techno-savy could you rig a switch to switch the power intsead of pulling plugs? It might be a little easier on the connectors.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thats cool, unfortunatly i can't sleep them beacuse they will be moved from venue to venue every week or so, and most likely will be powered down every night by the in house crew.

However what i have also been looking at is disconnecting the power buttton from the computer, and using my own power button put into a blanking plate on the front of the rack, this seems like probably the easiest option, though it will void my warranty.

Cheers

Gareth

Gav

Reaction score
So what your saying is that you are just pulling the Mac Mini out of its power sockets whilst its live and running? If so, its a very bad idea and could cause data loss and possible other damage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Given that you can tell the mini to power off via software, I'm not sure what the problem is. Even if you run something full screen, press ctrl+eject and the 'shutdown' dialog will appear and just use that?

OP
G
Reaction score
Cazabam, the problem is not shutting the computer down it's powering it back up again when the button is hidden in the back of a rack.

But i have been looking at pictures of the internals and it looks quite simple to un-solder the current switch, extend the wires and use my own close contact switch, i will let you know how it works.

Cheers

Gareth

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.