.10 keychain "login' requests on startup

Reaction score
Colorado/ New Zealand/ England - depends on time o
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel
I get three pop ups after startup (noramlly three, sometimes only two), they are headed "Unlock Keychain" and are:

dotMactranslator wants to use keychain "login"
dotmacsyncclient wants to use keychain "login"
dmnotifyd wants to use keychain "login"

I have Intego anti virus software (and net barrier and anti spam) and run my ADSL through a router which also has a firewall so I am pretty sure I have not got a strange virus.

My wife has a Macbook of same age and same software and she never has the problem.

If I open keychain none of the three 'tools' that request the login are listed so I am unsure how to resolve this problem.

All expert help appreciated. Thanks.

M

MacHeadCase

My first guess would be that Intego's Net Barrier might be a bit too aggressive in its defence mode. Can you tweak the settings to see if it would change anything? And these warnings seem all related to your .Mac account.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel
So which part of Net Barrier would I need to change then?

What seetings for my Mac account could I change?

M

MacHeadCase

I can't help you there, I don't use NetBarrier and never have so never saw the way to set it up or possible tweaks to the app you can make.

Maybe search their Support database for an answer, email Intego or maybe another member here has an idea.

Report back your findings if you have any: other members in the future might have the same problem and would be looking for a solution. You'd be helping back the community by doing this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Those are the tools that sync your files to your .Mac account.

Try turning off .Mac syncing and then re-enable it. Click the 'always allow' button if it is offered.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It might also be prudent to run First Aid on your Keychain (Applications => Utilities => Keychain Access => Keychain Access menu => Keychain First Aid).

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel
On Intego - checks out okay

On Keychain access first aid - no problems detected

On .Mac syncing - cannot turn it off but i changed from autmatically to manual then changed it back. I will see what happens.

Firther to my last post now my iCal will not open (opens blank and then closes and posts up an error message) - how can I re-install it without completely re-installing my Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Your problem with iCal is that you managed to get a bad sync. Happened to me. Not at the mac right now, but I remember that in iSync preferences, there is an option to "reset all sync devices" or something similar. You will be promtped to say if you want to sync from computer to iDisk, or from iDisk to computer. Pick one, and let it do its thing. Should be fine after that.

Reaction score
Which way to "reset" to resolve bad Sync?

Thanks for the tip - I am also getting the 3 processes upon startup asking for the keychain "login" password, but only after starting use an iPhone.

Perhaps there is corrupted data, and I wished that "Reset Data" in the System Preference Pane for Sync made this issue go away, but it didn't.

Upon choosing Reset Data, a box appeared asking which direction to go: replace from .Mac to "this computer", or vice versa. After having done if from .Mac to the computer, and still getting the problem, I'd like to hear if it works as I may have simply copied bad data from .Mac, and reversing would put it back.

Sync services have improved since 10.2 up to 10.4.10, but there's still a glitch. Now if the passwords aren't typed exactly, iTunes says "Syncing your iPhone has been disabled on this computer". Then "Would you like to Enable?". Of course, but upon trying in iTunes, that apps declares it can't sync. Rebooting now... :|

Reaction score
It's been a few days, a lot of reboot, reset my .Mac contacts twice, replaced my bookmarks, calendar, and contacts on my Mac from .Mac after all that.

Still, upon boot, the PowerMac G5, Mac OS 10.4.10, asks for keychain "login" from the 3 processes listed in the first response. Has anyone fixed this or had it just go away? I can't see a way to set up the Keychain to do this at startup.

Reaction score
I found an answer on another Mac OS Forum: forums.osxfaq.com
"dagaz" Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:23 pm

It worked for me, and now a dialog asked "Allow" or "Always Allow" :)

"Which version of OSX are you using?

The symptoms you describe are caused by a locked keychain. Try repairing your keychain again and if that doesn't work move com.apple.keychainaccess.plist from your Home/Library/Preferences to the desktop. Log out thenlog back in and see if the problem persists."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.