• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New 'better-than-g' technology.

F

forza

Am I wrong to assume that the wireless speeds are limited, anyway, by the Internet connection (e.g. cable modem or DSL). At home, I get about 400K/sec on my cable modem, and if I understand the 54 Mbps number correctly, I can get this on my wireless connection as well.

So then, at least for home users, anything faster than 'g' is not directly useful unless the broadband bandwidth increases.

OP
P

pcjabber

Correct.

EDIT: However, for file transfers across network (File/Printer Sharing), it does help....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Yes. 400k/sec is roughly 3.2 mbps, drastically lower than your Wifi's 54 mbps.

Mbps means "megabits per second", and there are 8 bits in a byte. So take your 400 kilobytes per second, multiply it by 8, and you get 3,200 kilobits per second, or 3.2 mbps.

As pcjabber said, however, 802.11g WiFi will drastically increase your file transfer speeds over your network.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Also if you have a home network then 54mbs wifi will mean that your internet connection will not be afected by whatever else you are doing on it, i.e I regularly share iTunes around the house and streaming video plus the kids are playing Unreal or whatever over the network and my internet connection is always fast.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
same way 10/100 and 10/100/1000 (gigabit) ethernet is only utilized over LANs

OP
M

Mr.Curlynose1

Yeah, we have a wired network, so ours goes at 100 mbps. :D It's quite awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well 54 Mb/s is what you're supposed to get, in actual fact you get something like 20Mb/s, more like 10 though in real life circumstances...

Just like your dsl connection says 768Kbps but actually only gets around 100Kbps in downloads..

But faster IS better in most situations yes :)

I know our university for example isn't going to upgrade beyond 54G networks in the foreseeable future as even "normal" wireless lan is fast enough for surfing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Yeah I was gonna say, Aptmunich's math is a little off. Realistically, a 768k DSL connection should only have around 100k overhead, so 668 / 8 = 83.5k per second.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.