Mounting dmg problem

Reaction score
I am having trouble mounting dmg files. When they are downloaded by Safari I just get the message "Mounting Failed" and when I view it in finder it fails to install with the reason "Broken Pipe"...any ideas???

I only identified the problem following the recent upgrades from software update anf following the upgrade to iTunes 7.3 it no longer works grrrrr... thats another problem for another thread....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Have you tried to download it from another source? Perhaps the source DMG is corrupt.

OP
wgb_one
Reaction score
I have tried a few different programs and sources but still no joy...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What was the last update you did?
as an example will assume it was 10.4.9
go to Apple and download the combined update - in the search field type "10.4.9 combo update" of course replace 10.4.9 with the last one you installed, and download this file

Disconnect all external peripherals except keyboard and mouse.
Quit all running programs. Do nothing while the updater is running.

1. Launch Disk Utility and select a drive, then click the Restore tab
2. Drag the dmg file into the Source field, or click "Image.." and navigate to it
3. Drag a drive into the Destination field
4. Make ABSOLUTELY sure the there is NO check mark in the box in front of "Erase Destination"
5. Click the Restore button
6. The install package will appear on the destination drive, click on it to launch installer and run it

These tips came from here, here, here

It was reported to have repaired the broken pipes error - might read thru some of them first to fully understand the operation

Reaction score
Have you tried in Firefox?

Sometimes I get that error in Safari. Your not using the Beta by any chance?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.