Headphone Jack Issue

Reaction score
I have seen a few comments posted about the incompatible headphone jack on the iPhone. Can i just confirm if the issue is :

i) The recess on the top which prevents other headphones fitting as the 'collar' is too big to fit into the recess.
ii) The 3rd groove etched into the jack itself (which i thought was related to the mic)

If it's i) then surely it's possible to just get your penknife out and cut away the 'collar' so it fits into the recess ?

Has anyone tried this before I take the knife to my E500 PTH's...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Yeah hack it up. Only problem is that most headphones have that bit of plastic to make it easier to grab.

OP
H
Reaction score
Shure's seem to have a bit extra so that shouldn't be a problem.

Either way better than those god awful 'hacks' from Belkin & Griffin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Anyone using 3rd party headphones notice any "clicking" noises during playback? A CNET editor said he/she could hear 3 clicks intermittently in music during playback, but didn't hear it with the iPhone headphones. It supposedly has something to do with the mic capability. Kind of kills any idea of using better headphones for better playback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I think that Apple should address this. Make a design change. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I think that Apple should address this. Make a design change. :\

Apple addressed this question over at MacWorld:

“The jack is recessed in order to maintain the integrity of that design,”

So basically they didn't want to screw up the design by adding a headphone jack that would actually fit most headphones. Jason Snell goes on to say "that if they had wanted the jack to not be recessed, the phone would have had to be thicker at that point, and they weren’t willing to compromise the shape — specifically the thinness — of the design." Aka, oops - first-gen design problem. Or perhaps a clever marketing ploy designed to quickly gain $10 and $20 headset adapter purchases from customers? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I purchased the Belkin version because I needed one right away so I could start listening to music again in my car. (it was the only one stocked at the Apple store) I haven't had any problems with it. The sound is pretty clear. i will switch to something less visually annoying when I get more money though.
Bryan

Reaction score
I bought the Belkin adapter. It took a beautiful machine and turned it into a 1985 cell phone. I need an iphone wrap around the ear headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2gig Ram 160gig HD---80gig ipod (full)---8gig iphone
I have seen a few comments posted about the incompatible headphone jack on the iPhone. Can i just confirm if the issue is :

i) The recess on the top which prevents other headphones fitting as the 'collar' is too big to fit into the recess.
ii) The 3rd groove etched into the jack itself (which i thought was related to the mic)

If it's i) then surely it's possible to just get your penknife out and cut away the 'collar' so it fits into the recess ?

Has anyone tried this before I take the knife to my E500 PTH's...

funny you should ask that, I just trimmed mine today and they work just fine.

Go for it!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.