Have to have Yahoo Premium?

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Macbook, and was told by a friend (who happens to know more about computers than I ever will) that if I wanted my mail to work directly through the mail app, I had to upgrade my yahoo to yahoo premium.

All was well until I purchased my iPhone, and set it up with my premium account. Suddenly, it took 30 minutes for someone to recieve an email from me (if they recieved it at all), while I recieved outside email immediately. I had a hunch that it had something to do with the fact that I was using Yahoo Premium, so I tried it using my other, regular Yahoo account. Big surprise -- it worked fine.

So my question is, do I have to continue using Yahoo Premium in order for the mail app to work properly with my Macbook? Thanks.

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Macbook, and was told by a friend (who happens to know more about computers than I ever will) that if I wanted my mail to work directly through the mail app, I had to upgrade my yahoo to yahoo premium.

All was well until I purchased my iPhone, and set it up with my premium account. Suddenly, it took 30 minutes for someone to recieve an email from me (if they recieved it at all), while I recieved outside email immediately. I had a hunch that it had something to do with the fact that I was using Yahoo Premium, so I tried it using my other, regular Yahoo account. Big surprise -- it worked fine.

So my question is, do I have to continue using Yahoo Premium in order for the mail app to work properly with my Macbook? Thanks.

That is correct - to download yahoomail you need to upgrade to Premium otherwise you have to view it thru your browser. I had Premium Yahoo for a couple of years but when I got my Mac I dropped it and switched to .mac instead. It is not really that much - around $20.00 per year if I remember correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
As long as you have pop3 access with your regular yahoo account you can use it with mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook intel core duo 2.0GHz, 2 GB Ram
Yea, you have to go up to the premium...that's exactly what I did. It's only $20 a year, but, it's always nice not having to pay for it. If you haven't had the yahoo for too long, go ahead and get an AOL account. AOL accounts work seamlessly with Mail app, and costs you nothing. In fact, AOL is able to let you use iChat for free as well...

Good Luck!!! And congrats on the Macbook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
ive got a great email account thats free, with pop access, so i can use mail.app

I got it from bluebottle.com
I havent got ANY junk with them yet

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
MacFreePOPs can be setup to deliver your Yahoo Mail (and many other Web mail types) directly to Mail.app without having to upgrade to a "premium" account. It works great, although you will have to follow the directions closely to get it working. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/email_chat/macfreepops.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.