Help with permissions in Panther Wanted

H

hoov

Hi everyone I'm new here, but I hope that someone will help me even so!!

When repairing permissions using the startup disk in 10.3.4 (or even earlier versions of Panther!) I keep getting the same message on the screen.

("We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261 Permissions differ on ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util, should be -rwxr-xr-x, they are -rwsr-xr-x. The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume")

Oh no they haven't!!!! Because the next time I try to repair the permissions I get exactly the same message, what gives??!!

I don't really understand all this but I do try, as I've been a faithful Mac user for years. I'm running 10.3.4 on a PowerMac G4 MDD.

Thanx in advance.

Regards
HOOV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
Here is what Apple says about it…

You may safely ignore a message that contains "permissions are 33261". This document applies to Mac OS X 10.2.2 or later.

In Disk Utility (Mac OS X 10.2.2 through 10.2.8), you see the message: "We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/hfs.util.
New permissions are 33261"

In Disk Utility (Mac OS X 10.3.3 or later), you may see the message: "We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util.
New permissions are 33261"

This is a status message and not a cause for concern. You may safely ignore it.

OP
H

hoov

Thanx very much immdb, for your very quick answer, I can now sleep peacefully at night again!!
HOOV

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.