• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HD Movies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I am about to get NetFlix and I was wondering if any of the current Mac hardware (mac pro, mbp, macbook, mini, imac) support HD DVD playback from an HD DVD without ripping first to the hard drive? Like directly from the disk that I get from NetFlix.

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no Mac available with a built-in (or internal) HD DVD player. An after market internal HD DVD drive could probably be added to the Mac Pro, however, have not read of anyone that has done this as of yet.

There probably will not be an HD DVD player offered in any Mac for the foreseeable future as Apple is in the Blu-Ray camp.

If you are talking about connecting one of your Toshiba HD DVD players to a computer, there is no readily available method at this time whether on OS X, Windows, or Linux of getting an HD signal into a computer. The reason for this.... the manufacturers of video cards are afraid of the RIAA and there currently exist no video cards from ATI nor NVidia that provide the connections for component nor HDMI.

Without an internal HD drive, the only HD content available to any OS will be thru a TV tuner card and over-the-air content and that purchased from 360 live.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.