Absolute must software?

Reaction score
Hello, just received notification from Apple that my Macbook will arrive tomorrow (2Ghz, 2GB Ram, 80Gb Hard Disk etc). I'm an absolute noob with Macs - writing this on a PC, can't wait to convert! - can anyone tell me what cheap/free software that are absolute musts for the Mac. I don't mind what kind of applications as I wanna try out lots of things on it. Would Open Office be my best bet for worky stuff?

Cheers in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
Quicksilver for sure, it's the raddest application launcher!

Reaction score
I suggest you dont go nuts and download too much stuff.

without question

1, Quicksilver
2 ONYX

dont bog down a new machine just because you want lots of desktop Icons !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I suggest you dont go nuts and download too much stuff.

without question

1, Quicksilver
2 ONYX

dont bog down a new machine just because you want lots of desktop Icons !!

I agree

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Check out the A switcher's guide to OS X Software thread. Those are some very useful lists. I'm still using several programs that I had downloaded after reading those lists :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
I agree whole-heartedly with the Quicksilver recommendation. Even if you don't use it right away, keep it installed. When you need to open something, just try it out. Faster than digging down to the Applications folder, and very handy to have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.