Dead logic board?

Reaction score
So I have a quick question.

I've had my PowerBook G4 for about 1.5 years, I take care of it like it's my child, I don't think that laptop has seen one rough day in its life. Suddenly, my logic board dies. I of course didn't purchase AppleCare, and now I am wondering. Should I be upset that a computer that is marketed to be the ultimate computer, and whose price is well... substantial, just dies for no reason 6 months after its warranty expires.
I can either purchase the new logic board, or have apple replace it for me, but that will cost a lot of money.

I find it ironic that I paid over $2000 for a computer to have it break in such a short period of time, to then pay more to fix it. My HP which has gone to **** and back is working just fine, and I've had it for almost four years now.

What do you all think? Am I being ridiculous by feeling like Apple cheated me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Sorry to here about the trouble. I can feel your pain and disappointment.

Having said that, for me it is difficult to put the blame on Apple. As you can imagine, any hardware could become obsolete or unusable at some point of time. That's probably why Apple encourage people to get the AP. It is quite unfortunate that you didn't get a one for yourself.

Have you tried to get some replacement parts from ebay?

OP
Z
Reaction score
I just came back to the forum, and for anyone interested in reading this reply, the blame was Apple's. In fact they had a 2 year warranty (1 more year than the manufacturer) on the logic board of my PowerBooks generation because they had seen this problem before. Luckily this was discovered before the two years were up. Always do in depth research, you never know, you might get lucky like me. The repair would have been $1100!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 450 MHZ 80GB HD 896 MB RAM; PowerBook G4 17" 1.5 GHz 512MB RAM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.