Please Help - Is it worth Upgrading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4
Can anyone help, i have a just under 2 year old PowerBook G4, i am wondering if i upgrade this mac or just sell it and buy the new powermac. Is the G4 worth upgrading? how easy are they to upgrade? is the new Powerbook that much better? if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Can anyone help, i have a just under 2 year old PowerBook G4, i am wondering if i upgrade this mac or just sell it and buy the new powermac. Is the G4 worth upgrading? how easy are they to upgrade? is the new Powerbook that much better? if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Well, the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros are certainly faster than the laptops with G4 processors. Since most of the apps. are now available in Universal format, you would see a big performance boost. However if you are not in a hurry, I would suggest you to wait till Leopard is released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.67Mhz Hi Res - 2gig RAM, 100g 7200 HD + Pismo G3 400Mhz - 512mb RAM, 30g HD
The most important question is what do you use your computer for?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4
I mainly use my mac for photo editing and using Photoshop and Illistrator, i just find it being really slow, i know both software types are memory hungry, how easy is the Powerbook to update and is it worth me spending money on upgrading the Powerbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My PowerBook is almost 2 years old as well. There isn't much that can be upgraded aside from RAM and HD, and the HD isn't the easiest thing to upgrade. It would be much easier to just use an external.

Personally, I see no reason to upgrade it anyway. I have used MacBook Pros and MacBooks side-by-side with my PowerBook and didn't really see much of a great difference in them speed-wise. In fact, the PowerBook was a bit faster than the MacBook at a few tasks.

Anyway... there is no reason that I can see for you to just up and ditch your G4 just because it is coming close to two years old and Intel machines are out. If it is still doing what it is supposed to do and you are getting all that you need done with it, then you should be fine. That notebook will last you for another two years easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
How much memory do you have in your PowerBook now?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.