Accessing my forum from inside my LAN?

Reaction score
Hi all, second post. Nicely designed forums, by the way.

Now, to my problem:

I have set up a forum host on a Linux box in my house, and it is working nicely for people outside my LAN, but I cannot use it from my MacBook Pro because every page I link to tries to send me to a domain outside my LAN and my hardware firewall (router) won't allow that. I know it is possible to redirect, but I have no idea how to do that on the Mac. On the Lin box it was a simple matter of adding a few lines to a file called hosts, but I see nothing like that on this machine. Most of my browsing is done from the MBP, so this is an issue for me. Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 4GB Memory, 120GB HDD, LCD Display, OS X Tiger
hosts file for OS X is at /etc/hosts and works the same as any other hosts file.

OP
W
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I couldn't find it, but maybe thats because I don't really know how to navigate the Mac directory tree very well yet. I have used this laptop for work only (teacher) and never really delved into how it works. Maybe now is time to figure it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks. I couldn't find it, but maybe thats because I don't really know how to navigate the Mac directory tree very well yet. I have used this laptop for work only (teacher) and never really delved into how it works. Maybe now is time to figure it out.
no problem, the easiest way to edit that file is open terminal and type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" (without the quotes of course). All the commands you'll need will be at the bottom of the page you're editting.

OP
W
Reaction score
OK, one more thing then..how do I edit that file? I don't seem to be allowed to. (edit: err...nevermind..)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, one more thing then..how do I edit that file? I don't seem to be allowed to. (edit: err...nevermind..)
yeah, the sudo allows you to edit it. You will need to enter your password though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.