Airport Problem: Self assigned IP address?

S

Sundance

I'm using DSL, I've had it for about 4 weeks. For the past week or so I've been having a problem connecting to the internet wirelessly through airport after the computer goes to sleep and is rewoken(rewaken?). I get this message when i go to see the network status in the system preferences:

"Airport is connected to the network Sundance. Airport has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet."

For the first three weeks i NEVER had this problem, and now it shows at least once a day. I figure i might have changed something in my network preferences but i don't know what. I don't really know what dhcp or ipv6 or ipv4 is but it is set to "using dhcp" under the tcp/icp menu in the configure ipv4 section and configure ipv6 is off.

sometimes if i turn airport off for a few minutes and then on again the internet will work, sometimes if i don't turn it off it will work after a few minutes...???

oh by the way, the pc i use that is also on wireless doesn't have this problem.

any help would be great!

:confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
HI,
If your DSL modem is plugged into the normal ports behide the router then DHCP will not work, U have turn it off and enter the IP's you got with your connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook G4
i have this same problem, could you be a little more specific on how to solve it? my network preferences also go crazy each time I open it saying the settings have been changed by another program. Is there any way to reset it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.