battery woes

Reaction score
i have a mac book pro and have been experiencing battery issues pretty much ever since i had it. previously the problem was that every time i the mac went <50% it would randomly shut down/go to sleep. i went on the apple website and had a new (supposedly) non defective battery shipped.

within the last month or so ive been experiencing problems again. they still happen in the <50% area. sometimes the mac will just shut down as it did before, sometimes it will jump from say 27% to 9% while im using it and will tell me it needs to be plugged in, sometimes the warning wont show up at all.

anyone know what to do? =/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Reaction score
My PowerBook has the same kinda issue. At around 30% it will just go to the dead battery sleep mode, then I plug it in and its at 0%. In my case I don't care because the battery lasts as long as it should so I always just thought the indicator was broken. I'm not sure if my PowerBook did this when it was new b/c I bought it after it had been charged about 300 times but its been like that since I got it about 6-8 months ago.

The only time I have gotten my battery to go from 100-0% was by not putting any stress on the battery at all while draining it. For instance, I would just un-plug it from the charger, turn the brightness on the brightest setting, make sure it didn't go to sleep or shut off/ dim the display, and let it sit there without opening or using anything. It sat for a few hours draining the battery; eventually it got down to like 2%. This was the only time I have seen my battery lower than 30ish% off the charger.

You might want to try this little test just to narrow down what type of issue it might be.

Anyway, it didn’t really tell me much other than I kinda confirmed that it was an indicator issue and not a defective battery so I’m not sure if it will help you much but I figured I’d put in my two cents and share my experience. A side note, my PowerBook battery was not part of the G4 recall.

Another question that might help me and/or others help you out is, how long does the battery last? When you say it dies at 50% do you mean the battery life is cut in half or just that the indicator says 50%?

Hope this helps, and goodluck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.