AirPort Express!

M

MoltenLava

I found something interesting in the tech spec section.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html

First of all, the range specification is identical to Airport Extreme base station, 50 foot radius for 54mbps and 150 foot radius for 11mbps. It's hard to believe, because I would think the larger Airport Extreme base station would employ bigger antenna. One thing to consider is that Airport Express plugs directly to the wall, and typically they will be installed at the wall outlet height. Since the range of wifi network is greatly affected by the height of the base station, then Airport Express will typically have less range than other base stations that sit on the desk. You can try using a power extension cords if you don't mind messy cables on the desk.

Also, take a look at the second foot note. It reads "AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Express wireless network." In other words when it's used with Airport Extreme base station, it will be used only as air tunes and printer server. That sucks. It would be great if it can extend range of ANY base stations.

S

sirlan

I might buy one even though I just bought a base station last week. The AirTunes feature sounds pretty cool.

G

GuasaGuasa

MoltenLava said:
I found something interesting in the tech spec section.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html

Also, take a look at the second foot note. It reads "AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Express wireless network." In other words when it's used with Airport Extreme base station, it will be used only as air tunes and printer server. That sucks. It would be great if it can extend range of ANY base stations.

Doesn't it have to comply with the WiFi standards though? I suppose that there is something in the WiFi standard that allows for range extension and such, enabling cross brand operability.

M

Mr Ikasu

MoltenLava said:

Hmm, why does it have this image then?

indexextend06072004.gif

Strange!

N

nicholas

Haha "strange," funny shiznit. Yeah, airport express is essentially a smaller, more portable version of an airport extreme base station. In other words, it'll work in extending your wireless range the same way a 2nd base station would.

R

rebz

keep reading

if you keep reading, it later says "AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network."

So yes it'll work with a base station. Bummer for me is I have a linksys, which it wont be able to extend. :[

S

Solafaa

Thats why i love apple, there is alwas somethign new. When i check last night on the apple website it said that orders will take 3-4 weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I suppose ill order mine... my standard AirPort card wont beable to use the extreme but the portability and future use will be nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am gonna head over to the apple store after work tomorrow to pick it up

S

s_ton

forza said:
I have convinced myself that the range on the larger (by mass) Extreme is better.

;)

Also from what I read. Airport extreme can handle 50 computers connected to it wireless while Airport express can handle only 10.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Just got mine installed in the mac mini, LOVE IT, i like how its almost completely wireless besides the monitor and power cable. But im fixin to buy that airport basestation w/itunes.....anyone have that?

How good does it work?

F

Fallooza

maz94protege said:
Just got mine installed in the mac mini, LOVE IT, i like how its almost completely wireless besides the monitor and power cable. But im fixin to buy that airport basestation w/itunes.....anyone have that?

How good does it work?
how old is this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
quit replying to more than year old threads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
its great, ive been researching them. if you want (be expensive) but on iTunes you can select which Airport Express w/itunes location you want to select to play the music on, you would have to buy a few of them for it to work, but im lookin into it. Maybe i can get a few off ebay for cheap. But if you dont want the big airport express base station bubble....then this is the great alternative!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.