AirPort Express!

P

pcjabber

Incredible! An AirPort Extreme Base Station in a tiny package. I'll buy this for this reason:
"Take Your Wireless Life with You With AirPort Express, your wireless life stays wireless even when you’re on the road. Many hotels may have wireless service available in some designated parts of their buildings but not in their guest rooms. With AirPort Express, it won’t matter — as long as your hotel room is wired for broadband, you can create your own wireless network with AirPort Express. Just connect the AirPort Express Base Station to the room’s Ethernet network jack, plug it into an electrical outlet and you’re online wirelessly.

With your AirPort-equipped PowerBook or Wi-Fi-compliant PC notebook, you can surf the web or check your email in any part of your room, not just at the desk next to the Ethernet connection — it’s as if you never left your Wi-Fi-equipped house or office.

Or imagine being able to unwire a conference room instantly. If the conference room already houses an Ethernet network, you can connect AirPort Express to it, just as you would in a hotel room, and you have an instant wireless network accessible to everyone in the room who has a wireless-ready notebook computer."

How much are they, and when can I get one??????????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
OMG!!!!! that sucks i just got a base recently and getting one of these would mean the current one would be a waste of money.. :( but maybe some day :)

that is soo cool and small that i might just get one anyway

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
This thing is badass. It's mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No its not, I seen it first! :p Its mine :D

$129

P

pcjabber

Hmm. From the Apple Store:
"Availability: Mid to late July"...
:( But I can see one when I go to Denver in July --- :):):)

D

d4rr3n

That looks very nice, especially that fact you can use it to extend the signal of the network you already have going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im sure you can do that with them all anyway :) but thats a perfect excuse to get one :D :p if you already have airport extreme

I

inferno10

$119 with the education discount.

I wonder how Steve kept this one under the roof. I don't think anyone was expecting this announcement.

P

pcjabber

Graeme43 said:
im sure you can do that with them all anyway :) but thats a perfect excuse to get one :D :p if you already have airport extreme
No, they are a full-fledged base station. Look at the "On The Go" tab at apple's site. It states you can use it at a hotel without wireless, by plugging in your wired network cable (assuming the hotel has wired internet/ethernet), and plugging the AirPort Express box in.

P

prozach1576

You guys, the best thing is the audio out and AirTunes....

4g iPods will have wireless.

P

pcjabber

Gotta love that -- and that it is a tiny AE base station all in one! =) I'll get two -- one to connect to the stereo, the other to go into the laptop bag for hotels, etc.....=)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i will definitely be picking these up......the stereo thing is sweet but i already have my whole computer systems hooked up to the house stereos.

I do love how i can bring that little thing in a bag....plug into a friends wired router or cable modem and get wifi instantly just by plugging into the wall

P

pcjabber

Gotta love the instant wifi feature. Thats what the first one will be for -- keeping in the laptop bag, and instant wifi. the 2nd one is for the stereo =)...If I can afford one at all...$120 (I am a high school student) is a bit expensive for me...=( Anyone want to buy me one? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah it is very awesome and I would really like to get one myself.. very very smooth! Although I hear they are going to have an even faster connection speed, faster than "g" sometime soon.. which would be nice also! And great observation to the person that said 4g iPods will have wireless capabilities.. I think you are absolutely right!

P

pcjabber

Yeah, forgot to mention about the 4g iPods comment...I agree...
Murlyn, yes, theres supposed to be faster speeds soon, but it will be pricey....and who knows how soon...I'll stick with my "G" =)

F

forza

Airport Extreme v. Airport Express

I'm here to add to the bitter conglomerate that recently purchased (last 10 days) an Airport Extreme without knowing about the release of Express.

Maybe I'll be able to land one of those post-10 day discounts if Apple knocks a few bucks off the Extreme, which interestingly, is about $70USD more expensive than the Express.

In any case, the Express is more for the philanthropic type who is interested in taking control of convention halls and hotel rooms. I'm a Wi-Fi newbie so the Extreme is sufficient; further, I have convinced myself that the range on the larger (by mass) Extreme is better.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
forza said:
I'm here to add to the bitter conglomerate that recently purchased (last 10 days) an Airport Extreme without knowing about the release of Express.

Maybe I'll be able to land one of those post-10 day discounts if Apple knocks a few bucks off the Extreme, which interestingly, is about $70USD more expensive than the Express.

In any case, the Express is more for the philanthropic type who is interested in taking control of convention halls and hotel rooms. I'm a Wi-Fi newbie so the Extreme is sufficient; further, I have convinced myself that the range on the larger (by mass) Extreme is better.

;)

Well the Express doesn't come out til mid-july they say so there won't be a discount on Extreme til then if they actually do discount them

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
forza said:
further, I have convinced myself that the range on the larger (by mass) Extreme is better.

I think it almost certainly will be. I don't think the Express is really intended to replace a home wireless base station/router such as Extreme. It seems to be aimed more towards the traveler, or the Extreme owner who wants to extend his network or take advantage of some of Express' other features. I certainly wouldn't be upset if I had just purchased an Extreme though.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I actually might pick this up, and steal my dads stereo since he never uses it.
Not the best idea since we live in a condo and we need to be quiet, lmfao.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.