howto: sort/show folder view by mp3 album or artist

Reaction score
i have a folder full of random mp3s.
is there a way to sort the folder by the media file's tag information, rather than simply using inspector for each file?...

you know, similar to the way you can sort a folder by size, date, name, etc.

i've searched and searched and no one knows or has asked.

i love you

OP
C
Reaction score
i have a folder full of random mp3s.
is there a way to sort the folder by the media file's tag information, rather than simply using inspector for each file?...

you know, similar to the way you can sort a folder by size, date, name, etc.

i've searched and searched and no one knows or has asked.

i love you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
In short, no.

The Finder does not offer many ways to view/sort by meta data (file info) other than in Get Info/Inspector/Column View's Preview Column.

Some see this as a weakness of the Finder,
while others aren't bothered by it, arguing that instead, iTunes (or other media players) should be used for media-related purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I'm not bothered by it at all. While it might be seen by some as a convenience in Windows, I see it as one of the countless inconsistencies in the interface. I reluctantly started letting iTunes organise all of my music files, and almost immediately decided that I really prefer not having to think about it. iTunes has so many more ways of displaying music files than the limited metadata view in Windows Explorer (smart playlists for example), that I just suggest using it.

OP
C
Reaction score
i just like having a bit more control of my media files. if the id3 tags aren't proper in several different files by the same artist then itunes makes separate folders and it's obnoxious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
i just like having a bit more control of my media files. if the id3 tags aren't proper in several different files by the same artist then itunes makes separate folders and it's obnoxious.

It takes about thirty seconds to batch-tag an arbitrary number of files in iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.