Keeping ipod music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
With the ipod nano, do i need to keep all of those songs on the computer for each time i connect it? Sometimes it's just wasted space on my Mac that i don't need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
you need to keep them if you are syncing the ipod if not no you dont need to. although be aware that if the ipod breaks then your music is gone.

to get music off your ipod use sentui - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23390&mode=feedback&vid=149245

if you are automatically syncing then be aware that the songs that arent on your sync list or cant be found because they have been deleted will not sync and you wont have the song anywhere in itunes or on the ipod.

i strongly reccomend backing up all your music and other media

hope this helps, cheers, chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I think the point that the original poster is looking for is auto vs manual syncing. If you have syncing turned on, then yes, your computer has to have all the music on it that you want on your iPod. Most of us do not use synching, preferring to manually manage our music. I sync my podcasts, but not music.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.