First experience with Apple

Reaction score
What are all your first experiences with Apple like?

I bought a macbook and Ipod on june 30th with express shipping. I am still waiting on the ipod and the macbook has arrived and from day 1 I have been having problems. Called in a few times and they sent me a new ipod which isn't here yet and havn't fixed my issue with the macbook...

I seem to have horrible luck with anything I buy new or used how about anyone else out there?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

I bought a macbook and Ipod on june 30th with express shipping. I am still waiting on the ipod and the macbook has arrived and from day 1 I have been having problems. Called in a few times and they sent me a new ipod which isn't here yet and havn't fixed my issue with the macbook...

I seem to have horrible luck with anything I buy new or used how about anyone else out there?

Exactly what issues are you having with your Macbook?

OP
S
Reaction score
Ive posted in the macbook section to the issue. http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68600

Boots up in the darkest screen setting and nothing can be done to brighten. No the F1 and F2 buttons don't work. I was on the phone with the tech guy from apple and the problem occurred. He told me there was nothing he could do and gave me a number to the nearest dealer 2 hours away and told me to bring it in.....Great sevice.Two weeks into my first apple products 2000 bucks out of my pocket, no ipod and no macbook. I am typing this from my PC....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
My first experience was witnessing an iPod. I had never seen one before, but heard they were frickin sweet. My friend just let me play with it for a couple minutes...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only advice I can give you is, take it in and demand a new one. NO WAY should you have to go through all of that. It should work. Good luck and keep us posted.

vxd

Reaction score
DOA (dead on arrival?) you could have gotten a new one. Within 2 weeks of purchased.

M

MacHeadCase

Yes DOA = Dead On Arrival.

Apple's return policy on DOA Macs:

Dead On Arrival (DOA) Product: System Failure Out of the Box
An Apple-branded hardware product is considered DOA if it shows symptoms of a hardware failure preventing basic operability, upon its first use out of the box. If you discover that your product may be DOA please call Apple technical support at 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273) within 30 days of the invoice date. Apple technical support will determine if the product is DOA and offer you the following options:

Replacement: The same product that was ordered will be shipped to you at Apple's expense. Apple Care Technical Support will put you in touch with an Apple Store Sales Support Representative to set up a replacement order and provide the procedure for returning the DOA product.
Service: You may have the product repaired; however, once serviced the product is no longer eligible for replacement. Product must be deemed DOA by Apple technical support within 30 days of the invoice date in order to receive a replacement unit.
DOA Terms and Conditions

This DOA policy only applies to Apple-branded hardware products currently offered on the Apple Education Store. As new products are offered Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not this policy applies.
This DOA policy does not apply to third party products which do not bear the Apple brand name. You may call the manufacturer directly with any third party product issues:
Hewlett Packard can be reached at 208-323-2551.
Epson can be reached at 800-463-7766.
If the product is deemed DOA by Apple technical support 30 days after the invoice date Apple's standard product warranty will apply.
If the product is deemed by Apple technical support NOT to be DOA Apple's standard product warranty will apply.
Apple will arrange for shipping at its expense.
Apple reserves the right to test returned DOA product. If the condition of the product is misrepresented by the customer, Apple may pursue imposing a fee, for wrongful return, of $400 to the customer.
NOTE: If you discover what you believe to be a product defect, outside the above categories, please contact Apple Technical Support at 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273). Such a defect, if any, is covered under the terms of your product warranty. Please refer to the warranty information and other support documentation that came with your product.
Returned product must have a Return Materials Authorization (RMA) number written on the shipping label.

Due to Apple's limited return policy, it is important that all orders submitted be accurate. If you are in doubt about an order, please call Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775.

Reaction score
My experience with Apple so far has been less than stellar. I'm not sure how everyone is getting excellent service from Applecare but I sure as heck would like to know.

I ordered my MBP back on the 4th, and a couple days later, I received an email from Apple saying they couldn't process my Visa for whatever reason. Okay, not a problem, I'll just call up Apple and ask them to change my payment info. Everything seemed to go smoothly, the Apple rep on the other end was helpful and all that jazz. After the call, I check my order status online and see that the rep had totally screwed up my billing address and switched a couple of numbers in my CC number. So I call them up again, but this time, I don't get the cool rep from before, but a person who gets mad at me because I apparently "gave the rep the wrong information" before. What makes this even better was that the incorrect CC number on my account was actually someone else's account, so that person now has a $2000 charge from Apple. It makes me wonder if Apple even checks your payment info before they charge it. Anyway, the rep puts me on hold for 25 minutes to go and fix the error and boy is she happy when she gets back. Skipping a lot of yelling and waiting, my MBP is finally "prepared to ship" as of this morning according to Apple's order status, over a week after the intended ship date. I hope that it'll actually ship tomorrow or heads will roll.

[/rant]

At least I got my iPod on time. Think positive right? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Bought my mac mini in January 2005, the day they came out, pre-ordered and on hold at my local Apple Store. Picked it up brought it home. Worked great out of the box. Had slight trouble setting up my dial up (haha yes still had dial up in 2005) but instead of using my providers login I set it up from the modem section in sys prefs and it worked wonders. We soon after got dsl and everything worked seamlessly. I transferred most of my files from my windows computer to my mac (mostly office files) that I needed for school. After 2-3 errors with setting the fonts correctly everything worked out great. Set up my mini as a server, and pc, works great for me, and easy as anything to use.

Bought my Ibook last revision in 2006 and the only problems I've had to date are the rubber feet that I lose 1 or 2 every couple of months but I ordered some more and just replace them as need be. Besides that I still have the logic board caused screen issues where the screen goes black after 15 minutes of use. Sent it in 3 times for applecare service for this issue.

They continuously send it back without fixing it. It's like the applecare people don't even read what I tell them is the problem when they recieve the laptop they just fix what they think needs fixing. Like the first time they sent a letter back with the ibook saying they replaced one rubber foot on the bottom and nothing else. After I explicitly told them I was sending the laptop in for repair because the screen didn't work and I thought it had to do with the logic board.

Sdklfjaskldjf;alkd...don't know what to do about the logic board...but other than that OSX has been great to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
i cant say anything wrong about Apple at this time...I got my MBP (not from an Applestore, we dont have an applestore here yet!!)
and everything is fine, rly, no kernel panics, etc, etc, nothing like things im reading in this forum.Well i think im lucky with this machine :)

OP
S
Reaction score
I ran the hardware test with the tech and it came up fine so he said its software...I have erased and installed the OS 3 times...They kept putting me off and now my 14 days are up. I bought it online so I have to bring it in to a dealer 2 hours away and demand a new one. Or ship it back at 10% restock fee + shipping.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So no matter how you install the OS it still reverts to that DARK screen? Take it back. Demand a new one. If you reinstalled FRESH and it's doing it, it's hardware. I don't remember from your other thread but did you do the PRAM reset? You probably did. Something is wrong and as new as your machine is, you deserve a new working one. Let us know how it goes.

M

MacHeadCase

I ran the hardware test with the tech and it came up fine so he said its software...I have erased and installed the OS 3 times...They kept putting me off and now my 14 days are up. I bought it online so I have to bring it in to a dealer 2 hours away and demand a new one. Or ship it back at 10% restock fee + shipping.

The problem with RAM and kernel panics they cause can be, like in your case, an intermittent problem. So the Hardware Test will not always catch it and if it does, the test will stop dead in its tracks as the Mac will go into one...

Is the RAM all factory-installed or did you install additional RAM yourself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
My experience with Apple so far has been less than stellar. I'm not sure how everyone is getting excellent service from Applecare but I sure as heck would like to know.

I ordered my MBP back on the 4th, and a couple days later, I received an email from Apple saying they couldn't process my Visa for whatever reason. Okay, not a problem, I'll just call up Apple and ask them to change my payment info. Everything seemed to go smoothly, the Apple rep on the other end was helpful and all that jazz. After the call, I check my order status online and see that the rep had totally screwed up my billing address and switched a couple of numbers in my CC number. So I call them up again, but this time, I don't get the cool rep from before, but a person who gets mad at me because I apparently "gave the rep the wrong information" before. What makes this even better was that the incorrect CC number on my account was actually someone else's account, so that person now has a $2000 charge from Apple. It makes me wonder if Apple even checks your payment info before they charge it. Anyway, the rep puts me on hold for 25 minutes to go and fix the error and boy is she happy when she gets back. Skipping a lot of yelling and waiting, my MBP is finally "prepared to ship" as of this morning according to Apple's order status, over a week after the intended ship date. I hope that it'll actually ship tomorrow or heads will roll.

[/rant]

At least I got my iPod on time. Think positive right? :D

I recognise the feeling. I posted this last year about my first experience.....

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47724

Reaction score

My dad brought home an Apple II+ with dual disk drives and 64 screaming KB of RAM (You bet your booty I had the 16k of expanded RAM!)... I'm not sure how this will help you though. :Smirk:

OP
S
Reaction score
Good news. The ipod seems to have been stolen in shipping and they are sending that to security and have shipped a new one which should have been here today and its not....Finally we got through. They told us to bring it in for service and we told them about the DOA which says no service on the computer or they wont take it back. Sooo im shipping mine back and there shipping a new one free of charge. Round 2. Another macbook and another ipod. Hopefully they get here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
OP
S
Reaction score
Well day 23 and I have my ipod but no macbook. They received mine and forgot to ship the new one out i guess. This is such a waste of time. I know people who order dell's and receive them within 2 days and if something was wrong they receive the new one 2 days after...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.