• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best external drive for final cut??

Reaction score
Hi there.
First time here!
I have recently purchased a macbook pro 15" 2.5ghz with the 160Gb 7200rpm hardrive and final cut studio 2.
I have been told that I should not use the macs HD for capturing video etc and should purchase an external drive for this purpose.
The trouble is I don't know which one??:[
If anyone has any advice on which external hardrive will perform this task the best?
anyone had a drive that has performed this task flawlessly?
any drive attributes I should avoid?
A good FAST external hardrive is what I need your advice on!!
your comments would be greatly appreciated.Thankyou very much for your time.
buer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Just pick one that has a 7200RPM HD inside and get one with the fastest connection your MBP has? I don't own a MBP so I don't know if it supports FW800 or just FW400.
LaCie is what most people choose. They make really nice externals at a great price.
Good luck
Bryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I think FW400 is sufficient. You could probably get by with USB as well, but Firewire is generally preferred, especially if you have any other USB devices in use. For that matter, your internal hard drive would be fine, as long as you only plan on editing short video. Uncompressed DV requires 14 gigs per hour of video, and conventional wisdom states that three times that much space is required for editing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I have that in the 250GB version. It seems to work slower than my previous external that I built myself.
I wouldn't listen to the advise above and get a USB drive. Stick with one that supports FW800. You're going to transferring back and forth large files all the time and USB 2.0 doesn't cut it.
Bryan

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I have two external hard drives (both USB) one works brilliantly with Final Cut the other just cant hack it, even though both are 7,200rpm drives and both are connected directly to the USB2 port.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thankyou for your advice..
I am now looking at the LaCie 500GB Quadra hard drive with quadruple interface. see the apple store at:
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=9469E1C2&nplm=TM178
the MBP has a FW800 connection so I assume that this will do the job for me just fine?
thankyou for your speedy replies.
I would like to know if you feel this choice would be a good one!!

That LaCie will work fine. Like said above, FW800 is the way to go for working with large videos. Sometimes in my work videos before conversion get to 20GB! Firewire really helps in transfer to the external. FW800 is really fast. Since your MBP has it, put it to use.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you would like to do some reading - here is a thread I made a couple of months ago when doing my own search for a new external drive. I do a lot of research prior to puchasing any electronics and this may save you some time or not. The 2nd post begins the review of the different drives available. I also take into account multiple sites doing actual speed tests of the various drives. Also, have a few timed tests done with the various connections with the drive I ended up getting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
I am now looking at the LaCie 500GB Quadra hard drive with quadruple interface. see the apple store at:
http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=9469E1C2&nplm=TM178
the MBP has a FW800 connection so I assume that this will do the job for me just fine?

I have actually used the lacies, and have always had problems. Maybe just em though. I switched over to G-tech drives. Work amazing.

Reaction score

I have that same External HD but only the 160 GB version. I love it and use it on my MacBook Pro for the same reasons that you want to. It has always worked great for me. I would suggest this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.