Guitar amp -> MBP audio input -> Guitar amp or whatever

Reaction score
I have a cheap Kustom guitar amp (well, cheap == 100$). It has a few inputs (one of them of course being guitar) and a headphone output.

Anyway, I was just wondering if it would be possible to somehow hook these all together to end up with a workable (at least better than guitar amp -> built in MBP microphone) recording solution?

I just want to mess around with garage band to be honest, I'm not doing anything even remotely serious :)

Thanks for any help!

Oh, also, possibly a dumb question, but would it be possible to also have some sort of "monitor" setup as well? So I can hear myself playing (or another song) while I'm recording just the guitar?

Thanks for any help!
<3

OP
shoelessone
Reaction score
oops, it was late, I messed up the title, I MEANT, "guitar amp -> MBP audio input -> Garage Band

sorry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Can't really use a mic with a guitar amp like that...

USB mic maybe? Are you just wanting to get basic vocals into GB?

OP
shoelessone
Reaction score
Can't really use a mic with a guitar amp like that...

USB mic maybe? Are you just wanting to get basic vocals into GB?

You mean for the "monitor" aspect of my question?

If so, then yes I guess... I want to be able to hear my voice and/or my guitar in my headphones.

So, what would be the best (and cheapest, considering I care next to nothing about the quality) way to go from electric guitar to Garage Band?

I realize I could just record it with a MIC, but part of the idea is if I could go from guitar -> Garage band without making any noise, then I could play my guitar at night or whatever, and still hear myself via headphones from my MBP.

Thanks man :)
<3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I thought you were trying to run your mic through it.

Either a line out to your MBP in or a usb mic on a stand infront of the amp...something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
The headphone output on your amp is an output.. So in theory, going from the headphone jack, to the audio-in on the MBP should work.

I used to do a lot of recording using Cake Walk Pro Audio 9 on Windows, and would either plug straight in, or use the balanced line-out on my bass amp.

The headphone to MBP audio-in should work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.