Internet Connection

Reaction score
Sorry, but I am new to Mac altogether and am having a little trouble setting up my internet connection on my MacBook.

When I go to copy my IP Address info off of my desktop at home (Windows XP) and I select "Use the Following IP Address, there is nothing there to copy.

Any help?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
How are you connecting to the net? Do you have a static or dynamic ip? You are better off going into system preferences -> network. Then you just pick your connection that you are using and hit assist me. That happened when i have to used the ethernet connection at my girlfriend's house. She has a different service provider so there were different settings that had to be changed. OSX did the changes and i was up and running in no time.

Reaction score
Your Windows machine is using DHCP, that is why there is no address to copy. And even if you went into TCP/IP properties and got the temporary address, you probably couldn't use that on your Mac. You certainly couldn't use it if both machines are online at the same time. You need to tell us if you connecting over ethernet or wireless, if you have a router or if the XP machine is connecting directly. Are you on a cable modem, DSL, are you required to use PPPoE. Let us know!

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry I am just getting back with you guys on this. I am in the process of converting to Mac but am still using my PC until I get ready to make the big switch.

I did get this issue taken care of and again I appreciate your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.