Set Default Application for Files

Reaction score
Im having trouble setting a default app for a certain file. For example, I have an .avi file (2001: A Space Odyssey.avi) which i would like to be opened in Democracy (a very good app). So i right click the file and go "open with" and then i chose my app and then i go "always open with". From them on, i can click 2001:A Space Odyssey.avi and it will open in Democracy. However, the rest of my .avi files will still open in Quicktime (the default app, i guess) untill i do that right click thing to every one of them. Is there a way to make Democracy the default app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You should restart Finder. Quick login/out might help. You can also try killall Finder in the Terminal.

M

MacHeadCase

And apart from restarting, you have to click on the Change all... button in the Get Info window to make sure all the same file type is opened by the app you want.

change_all.jpg

Reaction score
This made my day without restart

And apart from restarting, you have to click on the Change all... button in the Get Info window to make sure all the same file type is opened by the app you want.
This made my day without restart (on Leo)

Thanks a lot! Been struggling with this for some time!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.