Convincing my mate to get a mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
My mate wants to purchase a new computer, but when I suggested a mac, he kept on saying that there only meant for designers and people working with graphics etc...

I know this is not the case, but how can I convince him that macs are not just for designers etc ?

T

todd51

It's OS X that makes a Mac a Mac. Tell him to go to an Apple store, or borrow one of somebody's to try it out. Show him all the differences it has compared to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
show him the apple ads...I think its a good start...when i first saw them they make me think a bit different...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Don't try to convince him one way or the other.
Let him get what he wants for himself.
:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
The problem with Windows:
Hardware/software issues
Viruses
Crashes
Many different versions
No iLife
No Time Machine
No guarantee that your hardware will totally work with all software
No universal spell checker
No built in Bluetooth & wireless internet as standard

And many others.

They aren't just for designers - why would there be 767 users online as I type this? Why would I have one? Why does he think this? Because designers have them? Why does he think they have them? Because they're better for the job, of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The problem with Windows (and Macs):
Hardware/software issues (same goes for Macs)
Viruses (theoretically this is a still a threat for Macs)
Crashes (same goes for Macs)
Many different versions (I fail to see the relevance)
No iLife (again, no relevance here. Mac OS X doesn't include iLife either)
No Time Machine (Mac users don't have this yet either, but Windows already has System Restore)
No guarantee that your hardware will totally work with all software (same for Macs)
No universal spell checker (I fail to see the great importance of this)
No built in Bluetooth & wireless internet as standard (depending on which Mac you buy, this is true for Macs as well)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If he really wants a Windows machine, let him get one. Some people will never switch no matter what you say or what you show them. I do agree though, tell him to go to an apple store and try OSX and see if maybe he likes it. If not, he would be better off with Windows.

The only friends who I come down on are the narrow minded who just say MAC stinks and they will not even try OSX. Don't bash something you have not even tried. If you at least give it a fair shot and still do not like it, at least you are being fair.

No built in Bluetooth & wireless internet as standard (depending on which Mac you buy, this is true for Macs as well)

Agreed, and most PC Laptops these days for the price of a Mac have WiFi and Bluetooth, at least the ones I see and work on all the time.

Reaction score
My mate wants to purchase a new computer, but when I suggested a mac, he kept on saying that there only meant for designers and people working with graphics etc...

I know this is not the case, but how can I convince him that macs are not just for designers etc ?

You can tell him about me...70 years old retired truck driver...i couldn't design a thing, but i love my Mac and would never go back to winderz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Most PC Laptops these days for the price of a Mac have WiFi and Bluetooth, at least the ones I see and work on all the time.
I agree, but I was only adding my comments to the post prior to mine. ;):)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
You can tell him about me...70 years old retired truck driver...i couldn't design a thing, but i love my Mac and would never go back to winderz.

there you go, excellent example. Ease of use, the number one advantage of Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

No guarantee that your hardware will totally work with all software (same for Macs)

I believe he was referring to the fact that the macintosh platform now supports the use of windows/linux/unix/etc. on the system, which therefore supports the use of other systems software on the mac.

Which is great, but at the same time the reason OSX is not supported on any other intel system is apples fault because they made it legally(well I'm not sure if it's legal to install osx86 if you have a license) incapable to install on non-mac hardware.

But at the same time Mac hardware doesn't support the installation of solaris systems...so technically they don't either have the support to run all varieties of op systems and their software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do agree with all of your other opinions though D3v1L80Y.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I believe he was referring to the fact that the macintosh platform now supports the use of windows/linux/unix/etc. on the system, which therefore supports the use of other systems software on the mac.
I believe he was only trying to bash Windows. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
The problem with Windows:
Hardware/software issues
Viruses
Crashes
Many different versions
No iLife
No Time Machine
No guarantee that your hardware will totally work with all software
No universal spell checker
No built in Bluetooth & wireless internet as standard

And many others.

They aren't just for designers - why would there be 767 users online as I type this? Why would I have one? Why does he think this? Because designers have them? Why does he think they have them? Because they're better for the job, of course.

I think D3v1L80Y hit the spot after your post, but seriously... your (smurfy) justifications are unwarranted. Most of them don't even apply.

Reaction score
Hardware/software issues (same goes for Macs)
Viruses (theoretically this is a still a threat for Macs)
Crashes (same goes for Macs)
Many different versions (I fail to see the relevance)
No iLife (again, no relevance here. Mac OS X doesn't include iLife either)
No Time Machine (Mac users don't have this yet either, but Windows already has System Restore)
No universal spell checker (I fail to see the great importance of this)
I am sooo glad D3v1L80Y replied to this, ummm, post (I'll be nice).

The Time Machine point in particular got my goat. Hmmm, let's see... Mac doesn't have it yet, and PCs have had it for years. And that's a reason to want a Mac over a PC? Sheesh... ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay well your opinion D3v1L80Y.

I was just thinking if he was not bashing windows that maybe he interpreted that to us wrong. But whatever... I really could care less if he wants to bash windows he can.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You really don't need all those versions of Vista. Just one Good OS and a Server version. All that is really needed. Back in the 2k days it was 2k Pro and 2k Server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
You really don't need all those versions of Vista. Just one Good OS and a Server version. All that is really needed. Back in the 2k days it was 2k Pro and 2k Server.
Windows 2000 was mainly targeted at business consumers. ME was for the home users, so there was still 3 choices back then. Still...it was better than now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
imho you dont rly notice the ease of a mac until you really start to use it as your own and set up all your software and settings, so youll need at least a few hours

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.