Buy now or later

Reaction score
I know I’ve posted several different threads about picking between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro and if I should wait to get the HE discount in September but this is my last buying question….. Honest!

Anyway, after thinking about what I can do I’ve come down to three options:

Option 1: A Black Macbook with upgraded RAM and an airport express base station, which I am able to afford now.

Option 2: A Macbook Pro 15” (base model) with an airport express base station and mighty mouse + keyboard, which I can afford in September/October

Option 3: A Macbook Pro 15” (advanced model) with Printer, an airport express base station and a Mighty mouse + Keyboard, which I can afford in December/January

Which would you guys go for and why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Ok, first what are you using your laptop for? I think the reason no one posted in here is because we don't know how/what you work or want to work with.

Reaction score
Buy now or later
Another reason why you might want to wait (in my opinion) is if you believe the rumor that a smaller Macbook Pro may be coming in October.

If you're not interested in a smaller MBP, then this has no bearing on your decision. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok, first what are you using your laptop for? I think the reason no one posted in here is because we don't know how/what you work or want to work with.

Well where to start:

I need it primarily for Photo editing and would also require the abilities to do web browsing (must be wireless connectible), word processing, weekly/calendar planner, some minor gaming (mainly FPS like FEAR or CS:S and some real time strategy too, would like to try C&C-3 and SC2 in the future), Music, usable as a DVD player on long journeys, Needs to be portable because I need to be able to take it every where with me

I’m sure there’s something I’ve missed but that’s about it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
If you want to game like that, get a MacBook Pro. MacBooks have integrated graphics and just aren't up to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I'd go with option 2. The MBP will do your PS work quicker, and do the gaming you want. A printer, extra RAM, external hard drives and stuff can be added later when you have the money.

I'm not sure about the Airport Express though. You should know that Apple's base-stations don't include an ADSL modem, meaning you'd have to buy one separately and connect it to the Express (assuming you need one).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
If you want to play games, go with the MBP. Not only does it have a dedicated graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT), but bigger screen real estate than the MB. I'm sure you'd rather game on a laptop which has a bigger screen. It depends on which customization you get that will vary the type of graphics card you'll receive, 128MB vs 256MB for the 15" MBP models, and 256MB for the 17" model.

Really? I thought PS didn't make use of the graphics card, meaning a MB or a MBP would run PS the same. Right?

Correct. 3D application programming interface (API) is not used, therefore a better graphics card should not affect the performance of your graphics card.

RAM will definitely play a factor. You'll get 2GB with any of the MBP models you choose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.