turn off hibernate when closing the screen

Reaction score
i was wondering if it is possible to turn off hibernation when i close my laptop. is there an app out there that can turn it off for when i am sleeping so i can close it and then perhaps turn it back on when i want it to hibernate when i close it? thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
im not going to tell you not to do this or anything but i am just curious as to why people want to do this? i never understood it, had a powerbook for years and never had the necessity to close the screen but still have the thing on.
-chris

OP
T
Reaction score
its not so much as i need to do it, its more along the lines of i've wanted to do it before and couldnt. its easier to move it while it is closed and say i have something running that needs to stay uninterrupted and i want to relocate. i could close it and relocate open and nothing will have happened or stopped. its not a dire necessity but i just joined the forum and thought i would ask.
-Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
devils advocate:
and if you accidentally put it on your table too hard, or tap it against a door frame between rooms or something like that you could possibly trash your HD and lose everything you got. cost benefit analysis is not looking too good

-crhsi

OP
T
Reaction score
ok, you win, i just thought it would be something nice to know how to do. do you even know a way to do it though? or were you just advising me against it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
devils advocate:
and if you accidentally put it on your table too hard, or tap it against a door frame between rooms or something like that you could possibly trash your HD and lose everything you got. cost benefit analysis is not looking too good

-crhsi
sudden motion sensor stops disks instantly if it senses a damaging impact.

OP: there are a few programs that do what you wish. i tried searching quickly, however could not remember the names of them. i think one is called insomniac or something to that effect...

edit: found the link to insomniax

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30315

OP
T
Reaction score
i installed it and it works, however, it affects my internet connections. it slows it down considerably... the only reason i know this for sure is because my torrent speed decreased dramatically when i clicked enable insomnia and went back to normal when i clicked disable insomnia. i do, however, like the 'sleep display' option. thank you very much for this app :)
-Philip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
i installed it and it works, however, it affects my internet connections. it slows it down considerably... the only reason i know this for sure is because my torrent speed decreased dramatically when i clicked enable insomnia and went back to normal when i clicked disable insomnia. i do, however, like the 'sleep display' option. thank you very much for this app :)
-Philip

no problem. i'm not sure why it would slow anything down however...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.