Torrent Files

Reaction score
hey i am new to using torrents and i just started a couple a weeks ago although i find that the files take ages to download! Compared to my P2P system .. . . . .
I have very fast internet and it still takes ages . . .
is there any way i can fasten my download speeds?
how would i do that?:Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Ok I'll explain things for you.

A torrent itself is only like a note telling others out there hey I want to download what the torrents says. And if there are others out there with the file you will download it from them. And here are some terms you need to know.

Leecher: someone wanting to download something from a torrent. Can only download the information the torrent is refering to from a seeder.

Seeder: Someone who has the entire file you want to and is allowing anyone to download the file from them. And "seeding" is the process of allowing other to download the file they have on their computer by leaving their torrent client open after they have downloaded the file.

And you need to have seeders to download from. The more seeders the faster speeds you get.

And trying different torrent clients can help also. I have found one called "transmission" seems to work fine for me. It's a no frills client that just works and dives decent speeds I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
Just to give a minor correction. You can download data from leechers too. As you leech (download) from other peers you will be both downloading and uploading data that the torrent belongs to. But if you have all leechers and no seeders you may not be able to finish the download since 100% of the data my not be avaliable. I use transmission and azerus because my usual site doesn't like transmission. I'm waiting for utorrent to be released for the mac, that was my fav windows torrent client.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
First thing is, you should ensure that you've opened up the torrent port in your router, assuming you have one. Your speeds will dramatically increase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Azureus
Transmission
Tomato Torrent

All for OS X, but I find Transmission to give best speeds, though some trackers still won't allow it to download the files. Rarre, but occurs sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I like 'Bits On Wheels' best.

Reaction score
with azureus can i download torrents from other sites? or does azureus only work with azureus torrents?

did that make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 80GB 2GHz C2D 1GB RAM | iPod Nano 3G 8GB
Any BitTorrent client should be able to download torrents from anywhere, including Azureus. You download the torrents in your web browser, and then they open up in your client (Azureus). And btw, if you're getting your torrents from a private site, then they will be faster than public torrents.

T

todd51

Yes, it is possible to download viruses with torrents. If your downloading on a PC it's even more possible that the viruses will do something to you computer. If your on a Mac, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if you must just use an online virus scanner to scan the files you download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
What port would that be?

I think it depends on your client. I use BitTorrent.app and it is configured to use port 6881. Check the preference of whatever client you're using and you should see a port (or range of ports) being used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I use port 50,000 with uTorrent on PC and Azeureus on Mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yerr ... so what port would i open for transmission?????

i also wanna find a good site for MAC torrents ... i.e games and stuff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
im a new mac user, and i was wondering, useing torrents like Azureus ect..

can i dowload muisc ect.. like as if i was using limewire..? do i need to download something to be able to download them..?

im a tad confused.. i used bittorrent with my pc so im wondering if i go to use Azureus if its the same thing? ill have to download something to be able to use it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
and what is Peer Guardian used for? and how is it used?

sorry for the lame questions lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.