Media Center for Mac?

N

Nightblade

No, there's no rumours or anything about this. I was just curious if there was something like the operating system "Windows XP: Media Center" for the Mac. Media Center really impresses me, and if people could do that on their Macs, imagine the possibilities!

BTW, if you don't know what Media Center is, look: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/

I've seen them in action, and while the visual quality of the actual TV part of the program isn't great, the visual quality of the program's index is fantastic and it's just really impressive technology overall. I'm sure there are equivalents on the Mac, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Sorry to disappoint you, but I wouldn't think so!

OP
P

pcjabber

Check out http://www.mythtv.org. It is a project (which, coincidentally, I help develop) for Linux (x86, but soon, I'll try to port it to Mac OS X) that does what Windows MCE can do, but BETTER! =)

OP
S

SogniX

I was playing with a "Windows XP: Media Center" PC...

and I could not figure out how to get it into "Media Center" mode, it looked and acted EXACTLY like the normal Windows XP to me.

I don't get it. o_O

OP
N

Nightblade

From what I remember, Media Center is a program on Media Center PCs that can be accessed in the same way all programs can be accessed: Through the Start button. Like on Macs, all programs have symbols or logos, and Media Center's logo is the same as the XP logo.

Also, don't confuse it with Windows Media Player. They are NOT the same thing at all.

OP
N

Nightblade

Also, thank you SOO much for trying to make an OS X port of MythTV. It looks really good, and I'd really like to try it out! I'm sure other people on this forum would also like to try out the port if you successfully make it. So once again, thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
M$ win media center is ok if a bit hyped up. iMovie/iDVD and iTunes seems like enough to me... Anyone seen Bruce Almighty? Reactions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
Bruce Almighty was a great funny movie. I loved the part where he sorted through prayers on a computer(not a mac though) :mad: Bummer. Otherwise, for that, its really good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.