Wireless Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
The MacBook I had was transferred over to other, equally capable hands today. The new owner owned a MacBook identical to mine and an old PowerBook.

The problem is that, while she can connect the new (my old computer) MacBook to her router, she can't seem to get onto the internet. I thought it was a service problem, but her other computers can surf the net just fine. That leaves us to think that it's the computer itself.

How would the MacBook be able to connect with her wireless router, yet fail to connect to the internet?

Any advice is appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is she using security on her WiFi Router? Is it WEP? WPA? Sounds like the key is wrong or the wrong type selected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I'd look at all of the settings in a systematic manner.

Look at the router. If she's getting into the router with the MacBook, great! Are there settings preventing her from getting to the outside world? For instance, you can prevent or permit access via MAC (Media Access Control) address.

Look at the MacBook. Are there some old network settings of yours that are preventing her from getting out? I'm making the guess that you didn't wipe your system and do a fresh install for her when you transfered it to her.

Good luck!

OP
diesel828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.
Nope, I didn't do a fresh wipe and install because I misplaced the installation discs!

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow and report back. Thanks for all the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.