Sharing Files Between xp & os x panther

C

chriswad

Hi people i have my mac going through a router into the net - my xp (professional) machine is connected to the router aswell

I want to be able to share files between both (i have enabled sharing on the folder that i want to share)

But when i go to finder and type in my ip address it doesnt work

anyone help

i have an ibook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
When you connect to the PC in finder you have to go smb://IP Address

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
you should make sure the pc is set up for networking, usually as soon as you plug an ethernet cable in, it should be active. You dont have a firewall installed on the pc do you? that blocks networking as i found out the other night when i brought my mac into work to retrieve so files from a pc, couldnt connect, so when i went to check the pc, noticed there was a firewall active so knocked it off and was able to connect.

OP
N

nr-media

You also have to make sure your Windows workgroup name and OSX host name are the same. This method will allow you to see the Windows network from the Network tab in Finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
All I do is connect both computers to the router and share the desired folder in windows (under properties).
In Finder in the Mac, just double-click the computer's name and select the shared folder you want to mount. There you have it.

Reaction score
i want to do this too...but does it have to be connect to the router with a wire? i want to share while being wireless.
also...if step by step is possible, i would really appreciate it.
thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.