Syncing files between 2 locations

Reaction score
Hi All
I have a mac server running 10.4 in location 1 and I have been given the task of putting a mac user in our other location that has no Mac server. What I want to do is put a NAS device in the second location as a "server" for this new user, and have the files synced between our main location and this NAS device so users at both locations have access to the files from either location. The main location also has my tape backup, so everything would be backed up. I have a dual T1 dedicated connection between sites.

Am I crazy? From what i've been reading, Rsync seems like a solution, but i'm not sure if it will work with a NAS box. The ones i've been looking at support the AFP protocol. Even if there is a software package I would need to purchase, that would be fine.

Any suggestions?

TIA!!!

OP
E
Reaction score
After some research, it seems like the ReadyNAS 1100 is my best bet. It is one of the few that supports the AFP protocol. I read some more about rsync, and it seems like it needs to be installed at both locations, which won't be possible if I purchase a NAS device.

If there was some way to just have the Mac server in the main location control the syncing, that would be ideal. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.