Dell Windows XP CD?

Reaction score
I am moving to a Mac and my previous Dell PC came with their Windows XP install disk that I have used before to re-install the OS. Can I use this same CD to install Windows XP on my Mini to use in conjunction with BootCamp? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
In a word: no.

Most name brand PCs come equipped with special OEM versions of Windows. These are discounted, and non-transferable... thus, they are "married" to only one PC.

When you get a new PC (or a Mac), you'll also need to get a new copy of Windows.

JDS

OP
G
Reaction score
I did use that same Dell Windows XP disk to install Windows on a custom built PC about a year ago. Is that supposed to work - because it sounds like it should not have according to what you're saying? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
My experience has been that MS doesn't actually ship different discs for OEM vs Retail version. The restriction is in the End User License Agreement.

In other words, the disc may work - but the activity isn't legal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.