MiniDisc & OS X

J

jp_tix

Hi,

I'm looking for a mindisc recorder/player that will allow me to:

-record from a microphone
-have 5+ hours of recording time, i.e. LP (long play) functionality (this is optional)
-transfer the recorded music via USB to my PowerBook running OS X.

It would be nice if it was really cheap too... :)
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

jp

OP
J

Joeytpg

jp_tix said:
Hi,

I'm looking for a mindisc recorder/player that will allow me to:

-record from a microphone
-have 5+ hours of recording time, i.e. LP (long play) functionality (this is optional)
-transfer the recorded music via USB to my PowerBook running OS X.

It would be nice if it was really cheap too... :)
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

jp

I have a Sony MZ N505 (M.D.) it's great....i wold also like to know if it would work with MAC, i haven't figured out yet if i can record from a mic....that be interesting.

You can play more than 5 hours with it......

great player.....but i wish i could get the ipod and sell the M.D.

OP
L

lzasitko

Minidisks and OSX

This has been an ongoing thread on the g-book lists for the past few days. I don't think there has been any big revelations on it either.

This is part of the problem with proprietary systems like Sony and the Atrak system that they use. Currently it supports via NetMD on a PC transfers to the Minidisc but not from the MInidisc to a PC and there is no software for the mac.

Suggestions have been:

A audio out cable to the mac (analog) and use Coaster to translated to digital.

Xitel used to market a product that connected with the Minidisc via optical cable from their unit to the MInidisc and to the computer with USB. People have used this with OSX and there are sites that tell you how to connect them. http://www.minidisc-canada.com/shopexd.asp?id=130 and
http://www.xitel.com/

Ego systems has a soundcard (optical and usb) second link it to the same thing but has price :) http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=10&page=1
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tracertek/wavu24comsoo.html

Last suggestion was iMic

This was the last message posted:
<<so what would you use for inexpensive sound recording in the field.>>

I'd use a minidisc recorder hands down. I don't know about copying CDs
onto minidisc, but recording live music on my Aiwa minidisc, either by
microphone or plugged into a soundboard, is good enough quality for me.
I'm not an audiophile, but I am a discriminating musician, and while I
understand that many people swear they can tell the difference between a
CD whose original source was DAT vs. MD... They must have superhero
hearing.

To me it's like those people who can smell the difference between a $500
bottle of wine and a $5000 bottle. Maybe they can, but I'm perfectly
happy with a great $40 cabernet.

I'm pretty much set up now with my Live music>Aiwa Am-F80
MD>iMic>Powerbook G4>Soundstudio>Discribe>Que!Fire external burner>CD.
Beautiful.

I have had Minidiscs for many years and basically my library of cd's has been all put on Minidisc using either a Sharp (first player / recorder I bought) and more recently the same as you, a Sony N505. I like that it can play around 20 hours on one AA battery or record for around 6-7 on a AA. I use rechargables and generally make sure that I have at least one spare with me. I used to have a Sony Minidisc deck in my van (until my duaghter left the faceplate in it one night and some jerk felt that he had to have it more than me) I found another deck but it never worked right (it was used). It works great from the remote but not from the faceplate. I have not found another at a decent price that I really like. But it was great to have basically 200 minidiscs in a small case.... I used a soft case that looks like a kids lunchbox :) in fact it was in the van when the player got swiped and they never took it....

Search the Web for XMD for OSX it will let you setup a playlist etc for Minidisc but they are still working on an interface to the Minidisc unit.

Hope this helps....

OP
J

Joeytpg

and more recently the same as you, a Sony N505. I like that it can play around 20 hours on one AA battery or record for around 6-7 on a AA. ....

so you had the Sony N505??...cool then i have a few questions for you.....

1-) can you record live music (with a mic ?) with the N505 (it says you can't, other Sony MD player can but not this one.....have you done it with this particular one?)

2-) I seem to be having a trouble with my FF button, as you might know when you press FF (to listen to a new song, like 1 then 2 right?, follow me?) it beeps twice (Beep beep), and when you press REW it beeps three times (beep beep beep) (have you noticed this?), cool....so the problem with my N505 MD is that whenever i hit FF the player thinks that i pressed the REW and backs up a song, instead of foward a song...... SOMETIMES it works, but the problem keeps getting worst.........have you had this problem?.....you know how to solve it?

this is buggin' me a lot!...since i have to REW almost all the time to listen to a song, and imagine that if i have 50 songs and i'm listening to 49 and i want to listen to # 50, i have to REW 49 songs instead of FF one. :mad:

thanks for the help anyways.

other than that it's a great MD player i have the Yellow one :) (wanted the Silver but the last one at the store was the yellow one hehe :)

OP
L

lzasitko

Yes it can record, it does have a line in, the same plug as the optical will take a miniplug so use a mic that has a miniplug and its good to go. You will have to manually start and stop but it should work fine.

Never had any issues with the forward/rewind and can't really say that I noticed the different beeps..... just tried and yes they are 2 or 3 No I have not had any problemw where you press forward and it goes backwards, could try a tiny shot of electrical contact cleaner.

I have not tried recording from a mic and the manual is contradictory in that it says that the line in/optical port can be used for only inputs from another source, tape/cd/stereo etc but later on says microphone. I don't know why it would not be able to. The plug senses what type of plug is in and will select it.

If you go to minidisc.org they have links to both the manual and service manual for the N505.

OP
J

jp_tix

lzasitko said:
Yes it can record, it does have a line in, the same plug as the optical will take a miniplug so use a mic that has a miniplug and its good to go. You will have to manually start and stop but it should work fine.

the signal would be way too low if you plug your microphone into the line input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.