• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MySQL Query

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ok guys, i just can't figure this one out. Ill give you the scenario... and hopefully someone can figure this one out for me.. it's got to be simple, but my brain isn't working apparently :(

We have a contests table, a entries table and a voting table

When a person submits a contest, then people can submit entries to that contest, so the index relationship would be contest.id to entry.contest_id and then the contest people can vote on the entry to their contest, so

contest.id connects to entry.contest_id and entry.id connects to vote.entry_id

Now it's easy to figure out how many people have responded to a contest:

select count(*) from entries where contest_id = '1'

But now how do I figure how many entries he has that he has not voted on? especially when others can vote on it, so it's not like if I did a left join there would be null values for the vote, there could be multiple matches, but none with that user's id.. I hope that makes sense.. so for example:

select * from entries e left join votes v where e.contest_id = '1'

if there are no votes then it will return the entries that have not been voted on and the votes values would all be null values.

But if there are votes for that entry by other people besides the person that created the contest, then it will return values for the votes, when what I need is just to find out the total number of entries to their contest that they have not voted on yet.

Any ideas? I would hate to do multiple queries :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
You need to query the voting table - for each person, get the number of votes grouped by entry_id - you should get 0 or 1 for each of them. of the top of my head:

select count(*) from votes group by entry_id where person=<whatever>

That syntax is probably wrong, I usually use Access to build queries like this, but that should do what you're after.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I can't do it that way since that would be a massive amount of queries and I would like to do this in one fell swoop. For every contest there are many entries, for every entry there are several votes. So for one contest, I need to find out how many of the entries have I voted on already. And if I understand what you wrote correctly, I would need do a query to return all the entries and then do a query on each of the entries to find out if I have voted for that entry. If you have several thousand entries, then that's some serious overhead.. again if I understand you correctly :)

Reaction score
I am a little confused as to what you are asking, but I was thinking something like:
select count(*) from entry e where
not exists (select * from vote v where e.id = v.entryid)
and e.contest_id = '1'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Yeah I can't do it that way since that would be a massive amount of queries and I would like to do this in one fell swoop. For every contest there are many entries, for every entry there are several votes. So for one contest, I need to find out how many of the entries have I voted on already. And if I understand what you wrote correctly, I would need do a query to return all the entries and then do a query on each of the entries to find out if I have voted for that entry. If you have several thousand entries, then that's some serious overhead.. again if I understand you correctly :)

The query I suggested can be embedded in another query to work for all contests, you select each contest and the count of the query I gave, similar to (this is wrong):

select contest.*, count(<my query>) from contest

I'm sure you can do it, you just need to nest a few queries. You might even need to create a View (or whatever MySQLs equivalent it) and query that as an intermediate step.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.