• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Spy camera?

Reaction score
Do you think anyone can see us when we use our macbook's in our jammies? I am very paranoid that Apple has enabled the cam to be turned on remotely by "big brother" whenever the need arises. Or, God forbid, some trojan is developed (forgive me, I'm still stuck in Windows) where anyone can see you? Has anyone heard of this? Anything? Wow, scary, where's my duct tape?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Do you think anyone can see us when we use our macbook's in our jammies? I am very paranoid that Apple has enabled the cam to be turned on remotely by "big brother" whenever the need arises. Or, God forbid, some trojan is developed (forgive me, I'm still stuck in Windows) where anyone can see you? Has anyone heard of this? Anything? Wow, scary, where's my duct tape?

no, honestly i think this is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever read... you honestly think apple is watching you via your webcam? Just to bring this into perspective, it would be just like albums that leak on torrent/p2p sites before they are released, there is always that "middle man, who works for the companhy but wants to share anyway (probably getting paid hourly, not salary.and doesnt care)" Anyway that ONE guy/women could ruin the WHOLE company. In this case though, there is absolutly no way, %100, that this has a possibility of happening

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0Ghz... new Intel
no, honestly i think this is one of the most ridiculous things i have ever read... you honestly think apple is watching you via your webcam? Just to bring this into perspective, it would be just like albums that leak on torrent/p2p sites before they are released, there is always that "middle man, who works for the companhy but wants to share anyway (probably getting paid hourly, not salary.and doesnt care)" Anyway that ONE guy/women could ruin the WHOLE company. In this case though, there is absolutly no way, %100, that this has a possibility of happening

Don't be so harsh man, chill out. Have you taken the time to think about the possibility of it hapaning? It is a really scary thought, I can see where they are coming from.

I can almost assure you that this is not/will not happen. I don't think that it is possible for the camera to be on without the LED indicating that it is on.

-Xander

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I was starting a "We're watching you!" response but thought better of it.

If someone wants to really track you, it would be easy. You got a cell phone? Turn it on and once it connects to the network you can be found. You use credit cards? You can be tracked. You live in an urban or suburban area in the US? You're under almost constant surveillance commrade. Da. 1984 made manifest. You drive and use EZ Pass through toll booths? Bingo. Depending on where you are, they even know your average speed. You use store discount or club cards? They know what you buy, what you eat, what you read. You use your MacBook at all? It takes little time and effort to remove your hard drive, make an image of it, return it, and leave no trace of having done so. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

That said, I'll present the other side.

I'll guess that to the government, you're boring. You're of no interest to them. You're just an everyday dude or chick who does normal boring things while sitting at your Mac. ("Hey, let's look at this guy staring at his screen! Wow, this is exciting.") Maybe you're handsome or pretty or cute or homely or ugly. Maybe you have this great laugh, maybe you laugh funny. Maybe you pick your teeth or, God forbid, well I won't go there. You're nothing to them and would be more boring to watch than Justin TV.

I don't doubt for a moment you could be surreptitiously monitored through your Mac. Technically it could be done pretty easily, and without the LED being lit. Why though? What would be the point? It would reveal nothing to law enforcement, and to do so legally would require a court order and then for specific monitoring activities for a limited amount of time. There are lots of better and more effective ways to monitor you.

"We'd like a court order to monitor mathogre while he's at his MacBook."
"Hmmm. Why?"
"We think he's wearing cute jammies tonight."
"Okay, sure. Go ahead. Here it is."

I think the MacBook is pretty safe, even with the built-in camera and microphone.

Reaction score
Yes -- and that's why everyone who looks like ME should be fully clothed at all times when using the computer.

Buy some black electrical tape and browse the web naked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
There is an option within Image Capture to share your webcam to the world, but you have to turn it on, and let everyone know the URL.

There is some option in QT to display your webcam that can be embedded into webpages, but it will only show you the picture from your camera; nobody else can see it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
There is an option within Image Capture to share your webcam to the world, but you have to turn it on, and let everyone know the URL.

Hey!! I like this idea! I am going to find this setting and turn it on. It may be my first step toward world domination!!! You know... let the people get to know me first. :D

Seriously though... I am turning this on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
For those interested, it works with most still image camera and camcorder aswell :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
If I remember correctly, the only way to turn the camera on is to give it power- and the only power it can get goes through the LED light first, indicating that it is on.

But still, if you could watch anyone in the world, would it be you? No offense, but unless you are a terrorist, I don't think the government is interested in what you do at your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
If I remember correctly, the only way to turn the camera on is to give it power- and the only power it can get goes through the LED light first, indicating that it is on.
I wondered about that. But then, a touch of conspiracy theory got ahold of me. Jumper the LED, bypassing it and giving power to the camera... ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I get scared when my MacBook's iSight randomly turns on :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

You should be okay as long as you keep your foil helmet on.

tam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 ghz blac-book
You should be okay as long as you keep your foil helmet on.

ahahaha... just put a piece of electrical tape over it if you're that worried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
on older XP machines there is a hack program that searches the net for open cam links. usually what you find are those used for security, but there are some out there that are on without users knowing it.

i don't know or think this is something to worry about on OSX though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm glad I use mine with a external monitor and the LCD closed at home. If people could spy on me that way, they wouldn't! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
**double posted****

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a way to turn it on but not let anyone else know that it's on? Something like a spycam for my bedroom. Can this be done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yep I can see you Brooklyn all the way from Australia!

Oo-la-la!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hardy har har! I'm serious..... really. I suspect one of the kids coming in this room while we're away. I'd like my camera to catch who ever it is....

Reaction score

I realize that apple is better than windows as far as viruses, but seriously I use a Windows Vista pc with antivirus and I literally never get viruses or trojans. This only happens to people who willingly download stupid garbage from shady sites.

But to answer your question, if you are worried about someone looking at you through the cam, I can imagine the feeling. I recommend to use a piece of paper and cover the cam eye. No one can see even if they're watching.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.