• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need some help with toast

T

TheMonkeyProjec

I'm trying to make a dvd from some WMV format video clips i have on my hard drive.

I set everything up in toast, and told it to start burning, the problem was, 24 hours later and it was STILL encoding the movies. Is this normal? if not, what am i doing wrong??

FYI: I'm using an Imac C2D 2.16ghz, 1GB ram, 256mb video, and toast 8 titanium.

Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
I just got Toast 8 as well, and it took a very long time, i would say prob several hours..but it eventually finished. I dont think it should be taking as long as it did, however maybe the program just stopped responding and failed to tell you.

The one complain i have with toast 8 however is that I have some episodes of WEEDS downloaded, which look amazing when i play them on my iMac, but burnt them to a dvd and went to play them on the tv upstairs, and they looked like the worst quality video that i have ever seen. good luck with toast. as far as dvd burning goes, i just came from windows XP, and i would say it was much easier.

OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

I just got Toast 8 as well, and it took a very long time, i would say prob several hours..but it eventually finished. I dont think it should be taking as long as it did, however maybe the program just stopped responding and failed to tell you.

The one complain i have with toast 8 however is that I have some episodes of WEEDS downloaded, which look amazing when i play them on my iMac, but burnt them to a dvd and went to play them on the tv upstairs, and they looked like the worst quality video that i have ever seen. good luck with toast. as far as dvd burning goes, i just came from windows XP, and i would say it was much easier.

Wow, i was almost certain that your reply about windows would at least incite SOME SORT of help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I have had videos take upwards of 5 hours to encode and burn, but never 24. Perhaps you could tone down the quality setting? Also, you could try using ffmpg (or something close to that name) to convert it to another format such as .avi and then try burning.

Goodluck.

P.S.

If your dvd player is divx compatiable, you could burn it as that.

Reaction score
Wow, i was almost certain that your reply about windows would at least incite SOME SORT of help...

it does, go to windows if you want easy DVD burning. Way more programs out there that make it way easier ... and faster. but thats my personal preference.

Reaction score
Toast doesnt support WMV Files. I don't know why you would want to convert WMV to a DVD file. WMV is a very compressed version of the original file. At the very least you would want to use an .AVI file.

Also The program MARLTON suggested is FFMPEGX but that doesnt support WMV either.

OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

Toast doesnt support WMV Files. I don't know why you would want to convert WMV to a DVD file. WMV is a very compressed version of the original file. At the very least you would want to use an .AVI file.

Also The program MARLTON suggested is FFMPEGX but that doesnt support WMV either.

well...it's not that i WANT to use a wmv file...it's the fact that the file is wmv, and i don't have much of a choice in the matter...lol

Reaction score
I would suggest not trying to burn the WMV to DVD and just watch it on your computer...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.