G4 won't sleep, restart, or shut down!

Reaction score
I have a PowerMac G4 with system 10.4. I had a problem with iTunes the other day and had to force quit the program. The next day when I turned on my computer it said that the clock was set to a time before 1969 or whatever it says. Everytime I tried to fix the clock, system preferences would freeze up, and I had to manually shut down the computer (pressing and holding the power button). Now, my computer always starts up VERY slowly, and I cannot choose sleep, restart, or shut down from the apple menu. I now always have to hold the button down to shut down which is not good. I also cannot choose "about this mac" from the apple menu either. Any suggestions?! Please help if you can. Thank you!!!:Grimmace:

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, alikatt0218.

You might try Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM.

Not sure of your Power Mac G4 model so you could see if this could work, Power Mac G4 (PCI Graphics): Resetting the Cuda Chip.

If those don't work you just might need to change the PRAM battery: I've heard that that little 6-7 dollar battery can create havoc in Power Mac G4s. Power Mac 3.6 Volt Lithium Battery. That is shown just as an example: I read you can walk into your local Radio Shack store and ask for one.

Reaction score
Check your startup items

I had the same problem. Go to System profiler and see what your startup items are. They will be in System/Library/Startupitems and/or Library/Startupitems .

Move all of these items from these folders to temporary folders (one for each library folder) on your desktop. If this works, them move the items back one by one until you find the culprit.

Good luck !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.