• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Editing screencasts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
So I'm currently working on some screencast videos for work and have started to play with Final Cut Express a bit.

I'm recording the on-screen action using Snapz Pro and I'm saving it using the Apple Animation codec. This seems to be fairly lossless...

But when I drag the resulting movie file to Final Cut for editing (primarily zooming and panning to different areas of the screen and inserting overlays), it all seems incredibly slow.

I only have a Macbook here at home - which is obviously not ideal - but I didn't think it would be this bad!

I'm recording an area roughly 1280x720 in size, so it's obviously a hi-res file, but it won't even play back the completely unedited raw footage smoothly.

Any ideas? I suspect it might be due to the codec I'm using. What would you guys suggest as an alternative if this is the case?

Über-respect to all the video professionals who can help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Try rendering the video once in FC, then try cutting it. Helped me quite a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Agree with mbcgonag. I just confirmed this with FCP. Also, if you loose the render, then do it again, export the clip to something more friendly to to FC and re-import it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.