Screen Aspect Ratio Question

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything on it.

Why aren't todays computer screens made with a 16x9 aspect ratio? Obviously, HD is going to be the standard for some time, so why not make computer screens fit this format? Why are "widescreen" monitors / screens always in the odd aspect ratio they use (somewhere between 4x3 and 16x9)?

I am planning on sending my signal dv port>hdtv in the future when I get to it, but can't help but wonder how that is going to work out. One thing is for sure, there will have to be black bars on the sides of the picture for it to display properly, and that is odd. I don't like "stretched" pictures, with distorted aspect ratios.

Why isn't everything on the same page by now (in terms of format)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Because not everyone wants to purchase a large enough monitor to edit word docs, photoshop docs, etc... in a 16:9 aspect ratio?

I like widescreen monitors, but I find anything under 22" limiting and even would prefer 24". Not everyone has $600 to spend on a monitor though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Yeah, but going from 16:10 to 16:9 isn't that much of a difference. I believe some manufacturers makes 16:9 monitor and a few other unique ratios. I remember seeing some monitors on a store once that weren't 4:3 or 16:10, but I don't remember exactly what they were.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.