Strange logo at boot.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Powerbook titanium G4 400Mhz.
When i boot the mac i face an icon blinking link an animated gif. It represents a question mark and 2 faces one in blue and one in white(logo). What does it mean?

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
it cant find y our boot device right away, or you dont have one defined...go to your system preferences and you should find something like boot drive or something, make sure you select your HD, everything should be good after that
-=chris

OP
J
Reaction score
Still me.
I still have this problem and i cant boot on anything probably coz i am new in mac!!!

I have a powerbook G4 400 with 2*512 ram and 10g HD.
Ram seems to work coz the computer behaves different when i put the ram off it!
I took another HD from one of my PC laptop (exactly the same model) and i try to boot without success!!
I download Ubuntu for PPC 5.04 to try to install it. I insert the CD in, i keep the button "option" pressed and I boot. THen i get a small image like the logo before, with a penguin (good no) on it... I can not boot on it thought!!! With both hard drive!!!

What am i doing wrong? Is is a firmware problem? (doubt it)

I need a serious help please!

Reaction score
God... I fixed a problem just like this but it was like 5-7 years ago and it took me a ton of troubleshooting. I'm trying to remember what I did, if I can think of anything ill be sure to post but I'm drawing a blank right now.

I actually also have an iMac G3 with this same problem right now but I have had a lot on my plate recently and haven’t looked into it in the last like year, haha.

Goodluck and I’ll try to get back with some advice.

OP
J
Reaction score
I am sure now, the Hard Drive is working. I ran a IBM hardrive tool on it. It looks ok!!
It could be due to a hardware problem no? So i took out the airport and i would like to take out other stuffs!!

But is there a point in doing all this if it is not that the problem!?!? :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Please read above: I just asdd a question: How to upgrade the firmware if i do not have any mac OS and any macos CD?

OP
J
Reaction score
I dont understand!! Even the live CD of ubuntu PPC 5.04 doesnt want to boot on!
I just got a small logo of penguin at the start up on a folder!!

**** it!!

OP
J
Reaction score
So you are telling me that it is impossible to upgrade firmware without the CD retail full installer of the OS? There are not CD tools free?
I wanna install Ubuntu on it thats why i am asking.
Thanks for your help

M

MacHeadCase

I had assumed you wanted to reinstall OS X. Sorry. Can't help you with Ubuntu. Another member might though.

OP
J
Reaction score
I can not even boot anything... I presume i have to go to the apple store now!
If someone can help in this boot thing...plz

OP
J
Reaction score
Dear all,

OK, I have more knowledge of mac systems than few days ago but still i have the same problem!!

Here is what I did:

I took out the DVD, HD, battery... and i went into the Open Firmware
it is written this:
"Apple Powerbook 3.2.4.18f3 bootROM built on 03/21/01 ...."

Does it mean that it is an Open Firmware for powerbook G3???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.