Water damage - what am I in for?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

One of our beloved macs has had a huge water accident. Surprisingly, it seems to be only the display that's screwed. I'm able to use the machine normally as long as I have it hooked up to an external display. I've attached a picture of the screen. Am I in for a new logic board to get this going again? If so, how much will one of these cost? I tried calling Apple to get a price on it and ended up waiting for an hour to find out they couldn't understand what the problem was.

Cheers

IMAGE_00049.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you better hope its just the monitor....a new logic board is probably going to cost you close to a grand. check out ifixit.com
-chris

OP
S
Reaction score
That's the tough call...what if it's both?! Based on that picture is it safe to say the screen itself has to get replaced? I'm hoping that's the case and think it's a fairly safe bet, because if it was the logic board the external monitor wouldn't be working if I am correct. The employee who did this to me said the accident happened when a water bottle popped open in her knapsack, and when she went to turn it on the display was working somewhat but flickering. Now what is on that picture is all we get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stock 17" 2.8ghz unibody mbp.
try letting the comp w/o the battery sit out for awhile - let the internals dry off.. btw was the whole thing submersed in water?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.