The External HD I have is a Read only on my iMac, What to do?

Reaction score
I just switched over to a iMac from a PC, is there a way to use my External HD I have now or no I have to buy a new one, please let me know.

It says that it is formated as Windows NT Filesystem, I tried to format it FAT32 on my PC but it wouldnt let me, any advise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
You are better off formatting it on your mac with disk utility. If your only going to use it with your mac then format it to NFS , if your going to use it with our imac and window's pc then format it to fat32. Windows will only format the hard drive to 32GB do to it's programing restrictions. Macs don't have this restriction. The only disadvantage to fat32 is the 4GB size limitation, most people have all their files less then 4GB anyways.

As you have already found out that Macs can only read a window's NTFS hard drive and cannot write to it.

What you need to do is make sure you have all your data off the external because don't forget formating will wipe the hard drive clean.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.