• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Live Video Record Two Cameras

Reaction score
I record seminars using two broadcast quality cameras. Sometimes the cameras are digital, sometimes analog.
I need to capture video in DV/NTSC 720 x 480 Quicktime mov’s
so I can take the hard drives to an edit suite and import into Final Cut Pro.
These seminars can last 8 hours.

Questions -

Can two cameras be recorded simultaneously into one Mac or
does each camera need to be connected to a Mac laptop, each with its own firewire hard drive?

I need suggestions of Mac laptops/software/interface combinations that work. (I currently have a Powerbook G4, 1.67, 2 Gig Ram).

Thanks!
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Since no one has responded to your question I would suggest that you head over to apple's support section and look at the Final Cut Forum. These people know everything about all that. From what I have read in the past only Final Cut Pro supports 2 cameras, Final Cut Express does not. As far as recording to the computer with 2 cameras I have no idea.

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=123

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I just ran an experiment with iMovie and Videator to record from a consumer DV camera and the iSight in my MBP laptop. One stream went to an external drive while the other went to the builtin drive. The result suggests it works fine.

I doubt you could do a whole 8 hours. I susspect you'll hit some hard size limit. But perhaps you could record 2 to 4 hours. You'd likely have to experiment.

Also Videator is not the right tool as it can't export it's format to DV at the correct framerate. At least NTSC. I kept telling it to use 29.97 and it kept setting my export to 30fps.

The other site for possible answers would be the forums at lafcpug.org which is a group for FCP users.

P.S. Are you this Paul Lynch?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.