okay to use with the lid closed -- or not?

Reaction score
Since the screen on a MBP can't be pushed all way down (flat with the desk), I might have to keep the lid closed when I hook up the laptop to my external monitor. The reason has to do with space constraints.

So here's my question: Can a Mac be used with the lid closed, or not? I've read warnings from people that say the Macs get so hot that it would damage the machine to keep the lid closed. Is this true, or just an exaggeration?

Bottom line: is it okay to use a Mac with the lid closed -- or not?

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yes, so long as your Mac is a MacBook, a MacBook Pro, or a PowerBook. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286
I've read warnings from people that say the Macs get so hot that it would damage the machine to keep the lid closed. Is this true, or just an exaggeration?

This is true only of the iBook series.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88199
Anyone who holds this belief about Mac notebooks in general is operating under a mistaken impression.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Since the screen on a MBP can't be pushed all way down (flat with the desk), I might have to keep the lid closed when I hook up the laptop to my external monitor. The reason has to do with space constraints.

So here's my question: Can a Mac be used with the lid closed, or not? I've read warnings from people that say the Macs get so hot that it would damage the machine to keep the lid closed. Is this true, or just an exaggeration?

Bottom line: is it okay to use a Mac with the lid closed -- or not?

Thanks! :)

Yes, it's fine. If the machine overheats, it will shut itself down before any damage is done. I would, however, recommend that you allow the machine to breath. Keep it on a flat, hard surface so that the air can circulate beneath it. Also, refrain from stacking anything on top of it and leave the outer perimeter clear, again, so that air can flow around it. In addition, you should make sure that the LCD backlight is OFF, when it's not being used, as that backlight has a limited service light and will also emit heat.

The only caveat is that cver the long-term, excessive heat build-up can lead to shorter service life for your hard drive and fans, but those are easily replaced.

Reaction score
I run mine with the lid closed almost 24x7, no issues with overheating yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac w/xtra ram .. MBP 2.53, Brick ... PowerBook 190
Sorry to thread hack, but how exactly do yo switch to running on an external monitor with the lid closed. I can't seem to make it happen. Sometimes I put the lid down and leave the room and come back later and it's switched, but it I try to make it switch by closing the lid when I'm there, the monitor just goes to sleep. Do you guys just leave the room every time .. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
How do you close the lid without having the computer go to sleep?

I've been looking for this option everywhere!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
'yellow19man' it should be in system preferences and then energy saver.

if its not in there try desktop and screensaver prefs. or just search in the search box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
As far as I know, you have to let it go to sleep first to go into the closed lid mode. You just close the lid, it goes to sleep, then hit a key on your keyboard to wake it up in the closed mode.

I would also ad a caveat that if you are playing any kind of 3D gaming you should open the "lid" because it'll get pretty hot closed. Mine got too hot just playing the Halo demo with it closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i also belive you need a mouse/keyboard and monitor connected to your 'book and then it wont even think about sleeping when you close the lid
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP SR 2.2Ghz 15.4" LED
Kind of disappointed Apple doesn't include the close-lid option without having the computer go to sleep. On my old PC laptop, there was an option where I could close my lid and still have the computer run (example, just turning off your monitor on a desktop computer).

I like having the option of just closing the lid and having the screen turn off and still keeping me connected to the internet.

I know I could just turn the "Put the display to sleep" option to a minute but then this option disrupts me when I watch video clips on the net. I constantly have to move my mouse to keep the screen alive.

OP
S
Reaction score
Kind of disappointed Apple doesn't include the close-lid option without having the computer go to sleep. On my old PC laptop, there was an option where I could close my lid and still have the computer run...
Yeah, me too.

On my current Dell laptop I just have it set to "When Lid Closes, Do Nothing"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's never been a big problem for me, because I always keep my MBP in sleep instead of shutting it down and hardly ever switch between the MBP LCD and external LCD in the middle of doing something.

If the annoyance is that you have to start it up, put it to sleep, then wake it again, you can skip the sleep part. Just connect everything and close the lid quickly after you hit the power button, it'll go right into the closed lid mode.

Reaction score
i also belive you need a mouse/keyboard and monitor connected to your 'book and then it wont even think about sleeping when you close the lid
-chris

It will still sleep when you close the lid even if a monitor/keyboard/mouse are connected to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Kind of disappointed Apple doesn't include the close-lid option without having the computer go to sleep. On my old PC laptop, there was an option where I could close my lid and still have the computer run (example, just turning off your monitor on a desktop computer).

I like having the option of just closing the lid and having the screen turn off and still keeping me connected to the internet.

I know I could just turn the "Put the display to sleep" option to a minute but then this option disrupts me when I watch video clips on the net. I constantly have to move my mouse to keep the screen alive.

It goes to sleep when its closed because Apple assumes that you're going to be transporting the laptop. Sleeping parks the hard drive, making it safe for travel, and (of course) saves power.

To turn off your display manually, use the brightness controls (on the Fkey)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
First of all im afraid that if u close the screen its gonna got so hot as u cant imagine...my mac gets sooo hot.The **** material of that macbook pro...

<off topic>now i got only safari mail and adium open and my CPU A is at 50C. is that ok?</offtopic>

@fleurya, im not turning off my mac, i put it on sleep and while it is on sleep im taking it with me at job, is there a problem with that? am i going to have any problems with that or its just fine ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's not too hot. It'll probably only be a problem with heat if you're doing some really heavily lifting: 3D gaming, rendering.

I keep mine in sleep all the time. The only time I power down is for an update install or those rare occasions when I need Windows. Putting in sleep while in transit is fine. Everything is essentially shut down, so not worries moving it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4ghz; 4gb ipod nano; dell axim x51
Mine hits 69degrees celsius when running a game, itunes, and adium. Is that damaging my MBP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.